Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to L/cruiser

Waldamar

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Hello to all,
Time came for a new motor [along with some funds - unusual] The shortlist was 80 Series L/Cruiser, Y60 Patrol or Chevy Suburban, only petrol/LPG as the man is going to kill old diesels - now I've previously owned Suburbans, but couldn't find one. Liked the idea of a Patrol [part time 4x4] but petrol Patrols are rocking horse s**t.....................
Settled on a 1995 VX Spec 80 - really pleased I did - what a car!

I'm sure many of you saw it on Ebay - no I didn't pay asking price but still a lot............................
Not sure I need the mud terrains or 3" lift so may be returning it to original, couple of oil leaks causing concern [possibly front and rear crank - worryingly] and LPG cert not worth the paper it's written on so inspection next week.

But oh so comfortable! Mostly it'll be a tow car for a mad festival project, daily transport and a bit of gentle off roading/green laning.

Please forgive me for all the dumb questions no doubt I'll be asking.
WP_002130.jpg
WP_002134.jpg

Great intro, nice looking ride. Never heard of any other of those vehicles that you mentioned. In fact I didn't know there were alternatives!

Welcome along.

Calm down Andy ha ha

Great intro, nice looking ride. Never heard of any other of those vehicles that you mentioned. In fact I didn't know there were alternatives!

Welcome along.

Calm down Andy ha ha

Ha, ha! Y’e see, there aren’t alternatives to an 80, not even a hundee...

(runs and hides:lol: from Andy)

Hi and welcome Waldamar and your truck.

I wouldn’t be so quick to revert to standard height if the lift has been done properly. There’s something about a high vantage point especially when towing, but I suppose its all down to personal preference...

Give it a go for a few months, then decide, I’d suggest.

I’m not clever enough to know what year it is, but it has a retrofit rear wheel carrier similar to (if not the same as) the standard figment to the 81 Series Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) model.

As said, nice looking truck indeed :thumbup:

Hello to all,
Time came for a new motor [along with some funds - unusual] The shortlist was 80 Series L/Cruiser, Y60 Patrol or Chevy Suburban, only petrol/LPG as the man is going to kill old diesels - now I've previously owned Suburbans, but couldn't find one. Liked the idea of a Patrol [part time 4x4] but petrol Patrols are rocking horse s**t.....................
Settled on a 1995 VX Spec 80 - really pleased I did - what a car!

I'm sure many of you saw it on Ebay - no I didn't pay asking price but still a lot............................
Not sure I need the mud terrains or 3" lift so may be returning it to original, couple of oil leaks causing concern [possibly front and rear crank - worryingly] and LPG cert not worth the paper it's written on so inspection next week.

But oh so comfortable! Mostly it'll be a tow car for a mad festival project, daily transport and a bit of gentle off roading/green laning.

Please forgive me for all the dumb questions no doubt I'll be asking.View attachment 143913 View attachment 143914

Well, having had all of the above mentioned, arbeight in diesel form ( apart from a couple of petrol/lpg 80's) I'd say they all have their virtues. In the real world they will all be expensive to run, especially on gas.
The Suburban is vast, and hugely stable when towing but the inside is typical USA and an acquired taste but very comfortable, I had mine 7 years and loved it. The Hundie, a bit more refined than the Chevy and TBF a nicer place to be still with plenty of room. The Y60, not bad but after an LC only 75% of what the Toyota offering is.
When I was running the petrol/lpg 80's I found the real world running costs quite high as the LPG was gone in no time and then onto petrol but they were quite refined.

Ha, ha! Y’e see, there aren’t alternatives to an 80, not even a hundee...

(runs and hides:lol: from Andy)

Hi and welcome Waldamar and your truck.

I wouldn’t be so quick to revert to standard height if the lift has been done properly. There’s something about a high vantage point especially when towing, but I suppose its all down to personal preference...

Give it a go for a few months, then decide, I’d suggest.

I’m not clever enough to know what year it is, but it has a retrofit rear wheel carrier similar to (if not the same as) the standard figment to the 81 Series Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) model.

As said, nice looking truck indeed :thumbup:
Thanks for your reply, lift seems to be old man emu so should be good, handles well and thinking about it the sodoff huge LPG tank needs the clearance so it'll probably stay. Mud terrains not ideal but I love BFG's so not sure what to do - another set of wheels for summer and keep the M/Ts for winter? [driving nurses to and from work in snowdrifts sounds like fun!]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, having had all of the above mentioned, arbeight in diesel form ( apart from a couple of petrol/lpg 80's) I'd say they all have their virtues. In the real world they will all be expensive to run, especially on gas.
The Suburban is vast, and hugely stable when towing but the inside is typical USA and an acquired taste but very comfortable, I had mine 7 years and loved it. The Hundie, a bit more refined than the Chevy and TBF a nicer place to be still with plenty of room. The Y60, not bad but after an LC only 75% of what the Toyota offering is.
When I was running the petrol/lpg 80's I found the real world running costs quite high as the LPG was gone in no time and then onto petrol but they were quite refined.
Thanks for the reply, I loved my 'burbs, found the tacky interiors and dismal ergonomics strangely cool............................ just couldn't find one this time. Thus far am pleasantly surprised by the LPG consumption - but am still in the honeymoon phase!
ps. newbie question:- what does "Hundie" mean?!

Looking at tow hitch its hight adjustable for various types of trailers i use the same thing as have various size trailers including an offroad one which has a high tow hitch

Thanks for the reply, I loved my 'burbs, found the tacky interiors and dismal ergonomics strangely cool............................ just couldn't find one this time. Thus far am pleasantly surprised by the LPG consumption - but am still in the honeymoon phase!
ps. newbie question:- what does "Hundie" mean?!

Hundee? Just teasing @AndycruiserguyLomas because he’s refined, he thinks 80s are too agricultural and likes the IFS on the 100 Series...

I’m still a redneck in my old 80, and lovin’ it :lol:

Nice hat BTW Andy, impressed I was, at Bracknell...

Hundee is a 100...

Thanks for your reply, lift seems to be old man emu so should be good, handles well and thinking about it the sodoff huge LPG tank needs the clearance so it'll probably stay. Mud terrains not ideal but I love BFG's so not sure what to do - another set of wheels for summer and keep the M/Ts for winter? [driving nurses to and from work in snowdrifts sounds like fun!]

My 110mm lift is OME as well, been on for 12 years now and still holding up well :thumbup:

Welcome Waldemar, it’s all been said really, great intro, great truck and great to have you aboard.

I expect one or two of us, me included, are looking at the truck and trying to work out the model as there were so many configurations. I’m guessing it’s a UK spec with some additions, winch bumper, bonnet protector and rear swing out which has probably been fitted to free up the spare wheel space to accommodate the LPG tank. Leather seats, AC and 3 working diff locks would pretty much confirm this in VX spec, cloth seats (which are very good) would mean GX or GS spec IIRC.

Welcome Waldemar, it’s all been said really, great intro, great truck and great to have you aboard.

I expect one or two of us, me included, are looking at the truck and trying to work out the model as there were so many configurations. I’m guessing it’s a UK spec with some additions, winch bumper, bonnet protector and rear swing out which has probably been fitted to free up the spare wheel space to accommodate the LPG tank. Leather seats, AC and 3 working diff locks would pretty much confirm this in VX spec, cloth seats (which are very good) would mean GX or GS spec IIRC.
Thanks to all for the welcome [and explanation!] Yes to all of that spec, air, leather, locks etc. Seems I got a good one then? Of course issues and PO was not entirely honest re. a few bits and bobs like "I never used the aircon" not surprising as the belt is missing! I doubt it has any gas left! New window motors and regulators but drivers wont go all the way down - appears to be a passenger regulator................ Gas inspection on Weds then the plan is to run it a bit and see what crops up.

Windows are a known sticking point if you pardon the pun. Milner’s do a replacement regulator mech with motor that Chris swears transforms them. New rubbers help as the old ones go like ram rods. If you have the AC looked at my advice is to get a Fridge engineer to look at it (or look yourself) as they know what they’re doing generally. You’re right, there’s probably very little gas in it so vac out, fill with dry nitrogen and pressure test, vac out again and charge by weight adding a small amount of PAG oil. Before all this check for oily dusty marks around joints as this could indicate a leak. The pipe on the bulkhead can corrode as can any pipes to rear AC which was an option. Has yours got a fridge in the Centre console?

With the LPG, try and find if it has the oiler system to help prevent valve damage.

Back