Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to landcruiser and just registered

Engineboy

Country Flag
england
hi I have a 80 series 12v 93 auto done a few jobs since getting it radiator cooler for gearbox gearbox oil renewal and rebuilt the front wheel bearings and oils seals up to the front diff after the bearing collapsed and it all welded itself together not the greatest start but we are up and running again would like to come to some of the meets if possible for fun and to improve my truck live near rugby still having a little trouble with overheating the gearbox oil when heavy toward a 16 foot Bateson and 2 ton on the trailer so any help appreciated it was much better with the aux cooler fitted but did not like the big pull up the hills on the m1 South at Leicester overheated again pulled over and cooled it down and trundled home but was worried to death however no damage done but would like to improve things all other gauges were fine on overheating on the engine any advise appreciated regards Jt

Welcome Eb. Sounds like a good start. Of course you can come to the meets. You've met all the entry criteria.

1. You're breathing
2. It's a Cruiser
and
3. It's an 80 :clap:

With regards to the overheating, have you cleaned out the filter in the auto box? That might be causing a reduction in flow. Secondly do you knock off the overdrive when pulling hard?

Welcome Eb. Sounds like a good start. Of course you can come to the meets. You've met all the entry criteria.

1. You're breathing
2. It's a Cruiser
and
3. It's an 80 :clap:

With regards to the overheating, have you cleaned out the filter in the auto box? That might be causing a reduction in flow. Secondly do you knock off the overdrive when pulling hard?
As I only had the truck a little but no I left it in od mode when towing what would you suggest only use od on the flat or only if you are not towing someone suggested the gearbox was worn and slipping but fingers crossed it’s not that
Yes I did the filter as well
You are not to far from me and I need someone to check it over and advise me who knows their stuff would like to tweak up the pump and put a side exhaust on it but need someone to check it out before I send more money on it Jt

Welcome.

Hopefully the box will be ok.

Check fluid level.(when running)
Make sure the rad has good cooler flow.
Put an aux cooler on.
As Chris said check strainer.

Welcome aboard Eb, you’ve dropped on 2 of the most knowledgeable members (Chris & Karl) with your first hit, what a good start!!

Eb, always happy to have a Cruiser on my drive to look at. Certainly give it an MOT as it were (My Own Thoughts) but I'm not a commercial garage you understand. The auto box does what it says on the tin - it changes gear for you. But under heavy loads it can keep changing gear between what we'll call third and fourth a bit too much. This heats everything up. Knocking off the OD stops it doing that thus keeping it a bit cooler. I am not saying this is your cure, but it's part of the practice for driving with heavy loads that is in the handbook from memory. If it's pulling a trailer with 2t on it, I think that it's unlikely to be slipping! ATF fluid level and age is a big factor on these trucks but it sounds like you've addressed that.

Have you addressed the engine radiator, coolant and thermostat?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the welcome
Any chance of a contact number Chris so I can plan a trip to you it would have to be a weekend I can’t find a private message link on here
thanks Jt

Sure I'll PM you. You can't send PMs as a new member until you've bought us all a crate of good Scotch. Keep posting and that option will appear. I can do weekends as long as I'm not off hunting somewhere.

Welcome! At least you already have a LC! I am new here too!
Geoff

Sure I'll PM you. You can't send PMs as a new member until you've bought us all a crate of good Scotch. Keep posting and that option will appear. I can do weekends as long as I'm not off hunting somewhere.
Hi Chris I will be in touch soon just trying to find some time to get up to see you
I bought a 24v Petrol with gas conversion. Yesterday still have the oil burner though but one will go at some time just have to decide what does my job best as waiting till end of month to tax and insure it but it’s a different animaL to the oil burner

Back