Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to this and in need of advice.

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
Hello out there. This is my first time on this site and i need some advice.

I am thinking of getting a Cruiser on duel fuel. I currently drive a Mercedes ML500 2004 model. My son is into drag racing and needs help with towing. He took the Merc to Sydney towing his car and had no problems, with live in Canberra.

Now he has several trips to competitions in Queensland. I am thinking of changing the Merc to a cruiser, my daughter got one with very high mileage on it for towing the horse float, plus 5 kids, they are not in the float.

My question is this, and i probably know what you will say, get rid of the merc. Am i better off looking for a high mileage Cruiser on duel fuel or should i continue with the Merc, its just clicked over the 150k mark. I picked up my daughters car for her from Melbourne and i was so surprised at the smooth running and fuel efficiency and thats what got me hooked. I have been told that running gas on a Cruiser can cause the engine to run hot, is this right.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Apart from welcoming you to the forum Mike, I'm not the best person to advise.

A well maintained Cruiser shrugs off the miles, but I know nothing of duel fuel, but other members do. Maybe they'll be along soon to advise.

Glad to hear the kids don't ride in the horse float :lol:

Hi Mike and welcome. You've certainly found the best friendliest forum to help you find a Cruiser. Which model cruiser are you looking at? I'm guessing a 100 series or perhaps an 80. Like Clive, I'm no expert on dual fuel but I have heard that the valves suffer on LPG but there is a valve oiler which is better. How much better I don't know but others may do.
The 80 series later model 'Amazon' diesel is the one that's most sought after with the 24 valve engine, though the earlier 12 valve comes a close second. Petrol ones are very smooth, especially the V8 100 series. 105s combine the best of both with less refinement than the 100 but I'm not sure they had a petrol version.

Sounds like your perfectly happy with the merc to me...

Sounds like your perfectly happy with the merc to me...

I was looking for advice on which is better for long trips, never having done this with the Merc, i am not sure. I heard the Cruisers are better for towing. Yes i do like the Merc, but i have to think of long term. We will have a 3000klm round trip this month and the same twice again this year, thats why i was asking.

For a trip like that I would prefer a vehicle I knew well especially as finding the right cruiser (car generally) within a tight time frame is often tricky. I think if I were you I'd be running with the Merc with a view towards getting a cruiser for next year and keeping my eye out for an 80. JMHO of course.

As for which one, the diesels aren't that far from being silky smooth and pull like trains with bags of torque. Auto gearboxes are as good as bomb proof, though for long distance towing in your sort of heat it may be prudent to add a secondary transmission cooler (others may know more on this). I've no experience of the petrol 80s but @Gary820 has one. Don't know that he tows with it though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't tow with mine but wouldn't have an issue pulling a big weight long distance. Duel fuel needs to be decent kit from what I've read with an inline oiler, it'll wear the valve seats especially if done some miles. I'm personally not a fan of lpg.
You will have manual petrols over there which will help with fuel consumption,
The 105 also has the 4.5 petrol but a bit more refined as gets coil pack ignition not a distributor iirc.

My UK 4.5 auto has a secondary trans oil cooler as standard but not sure if other markets get that.

I think you'll get the factory 2nd fuel tank which helps with range.

Round town it's horrendous on fuel but on a run 20 to 22mpg is easy to achieve, I don't always drive steady either.
I am running 35's with lift, drawers (usually a load of gear in them too) heavy bash guards etc etc. It was much better round town standard lol.

I have a free flow exhaust with sport catalytic converters (you probably won't have cats anyway) uprated ignition leads a piggy back ecu and ignition timing played with.
It'll happily sit at 80mph+ without an issue

Service interval is longer on the petrol over a diesel and I'd think the diesels cost a lot more to buy.

Welcome to the forum Mike. Being a 80 series (diesel) owner and having driven a ML500 I'm guessing that fuel economy is the No.1 priority on your list. The ML is leagues ahead of a 80 and even a 100 series for on road work IMO, diesel or petrol but I like my 80 for what it is. I think you'll struggle to find a LC with the power and road comfort of the ML but if you have any off tarmac work planned then obviously a LC will have advantages. A V8 petrol 100 series is probably closer to the ML than any other model so will probably suit you best IMO. Good luck with your choice.

Welcome to the forum Mike. Being a 80 series (diesel) owner and having driven a ML500 I'm guessing that fuel economy is the No.1 priority on your list. The ML is leagues ahead of a 80 and even a 100 series for on road work IMO, diesel or petrol but I like my 80 for what it is. I think you'll struggle to find a LC with the power and road comfort of the ML but if you have any off tarmac work planned then obviously a LC will have advantages. A V8 petrol 100 series is probably closer to the ML than any other model so will probably suit you best IMO. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks guys, to all of you. I have got some really good advice and ideas.

I was looking for advice on which is better for long trips, never having done this with the Merc, i am not sure. I heard the Cruisers are better for towing. Yes i do like the Merc, but i have to think of long term. We will have a 3000klm round trip this month and the same twice again this year, thats why i was asking.
Im not over familiar with the newer stuff but merc engines used to be pretty legendary for there ability to clock up very high mileages.
ive also heard that parts availability worldwide is excellent, no regional barriers in whats available and even very old cars supported.

Back