Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to this.. Should we buy a 2007 with this much rust and 200k?

Alexfzander

Country Flag
united_states
$14000. Had inspected... tiny hydraulic leak... Exhaust has hole and needs replacing soon... Unsure of timing belt. engine light one for injector or something.. suspension i think has one issue... Some bad rust underneath, as from Chicago area... Apparently runs ok.

We are a family and just love the car...but do not need a project or headache. :)

We need to buy tomorrow or wednesday so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. Pictures below
20191030_165124.jpg
20191030_165026.jpg
20191030_165006.jpg

If you don't need a project, then no. And not for 14 k in any case.
The pics show parts which are bolted on. The state of the frame and underside of body, is more interesting for deciding if there is hope or not. But it would anyhow be a heavy project.

Based on just those pics, assuming the rest of the underside is in the same state, this not something I would consider buying. Maybe less than half that asking price and a £8 to £10k restore project.

Where has this been ? At a boat yard by the sea??

It's odd as the spring and the brake backing plate looks OK but I'd agree with the other two and wouldn't buy it.

Why do you need to decide in such a short time? My advice is to look at others so you can compare & learn a little.Also beware of flood damaged salvage that's been cleaned up for resale.

I'd set out with the determination that you are going to buy a really good condition one no matter what. I've had a few Cruisers over the years and never bought one which needed restoring if I wanted to use it straight away. Be picky and selective, it will pay in the long run.
When I bought my 1st, in 1997 80's were current models but I viewed 29 and bought the 30th. I kept it for 16 years and apart from service items never spent a bean on remedial parts. The 120 ( Prado)I run was the 10th I viewed but the best and like the 80 cost me nothing.
Personally Alex I wouldn't entertain that one or anything remotely like it, buy a put me on and search for a good 100 series, that one looks like buying work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its a rotten as a pear. You need one from outside the rust belt.

Big place America and i reckon most of us would be happy to jump on a plane planning to drive a good one back from wherever we land , and a good one with 200k on the clock needs only oil and filters to do another 200k .

+1 for all of the above. Wait it out and buy a really decent one.

Back