Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New tyres needed soon.

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
In need of new tyres come the new year, my question is 285/75/16 or 305/70/16.
1 reason for 305 would be looks, lovely wide stance.
Any pros and cons

285 is a lot more readily available, different tread patterns and easier to get second hand for spares. I'm not sure if mods are needed for 305s neither? Someone else might enlighten

As you say, just for looks... and that will really depend on the tyre you choose. I run 305s and the General Grabber AT2s I had looked much wider than the BFG KM2s, both in the same size (305).

So if you go from a 285 ‘square type’ tread to 305 ‘mud terrain type’ you may be disappointed...

So it really depends on the type of use you put them to and the actual tyre you buy (make and type).

As you say, just for looks... and that will really depend on the tyre you choose. I run 305s and the General Grabber AT2s I had looked much wider than the BFG KM2s, both in the same size (305).

So if you go from a 285 ‘square type’ tread to 305 ‘mud terrain type’ you may be disappointed...

So it really depends on the type of use you put them to and the actual tyre you buy (make and type).

Good point, thinking or near sure it will be Bfg AT ko2.

Went from 305/70s to 285/75s - virtually no difference in any respect in terms of clearance etc. 285s gave me a bigger choice and ultimately what I believe are better tyres. Completely subjectively (no evidence at all except "feel") the 80 seems a little more balanced on the 285s - but that could just be good 285s vs shite 305s.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
265 is what I use excellent all round and good mpg with less road noise, I use 30mm spacers. had thought about 285s maybe next time but towing ermmm 4.5t you start to notice the gearing difference

I am so jealous of these tyre option threads.

In Spain I cannot fit a snorkel without an engineer's report!! :angry-screaming:

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back