Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

NEW USER JJR!! Looking for some help on which 80s series is best for me!!??

JJ RENE

Country Flag
australia
Gday. Im interested in becoming a lancruiser fanatic! haha. I've found myself 2 options both probably with their own list of issues, tho I'm stuck on chasing a white 1995 hzj80 in pre clean condition with some bits and bobs to come with it, for 12k, and Or an older 1993 gxl, for 5 and a half k. The 1993 model has its original engine 1fz-fe engine duel fuel automatic' that's travelled just shy of 340,000 k, but honestly states its probably going to need some quality TLC with the possibility of a reconditioned head and gasket being required in the not too distant future. On the other hand the 1995 model is manual' just over 420000 k. Boasting about all the work that's been done to it on a never ending list but honestly looks well cared for and what I would imagine forking out an extra 6 and a half k would look like. Haha.
My issue is what model do you believe fares better as all round vehicle for daily life and proper long trips?? Which would you suggest, forking out 6 k more and not worrying about buying and upgrading myself learning about the car as I go or going for the cheaper model and forking out the money as I fix and upgrade it on the go??

sry for the long rant by the way... also forgot to mention that neither have road worthy. The 1995 model has rego tho till December...

Last edited:
What you imagine to be 6k worth of extra's is likely 3 times that , its all about the previous owner and someone who spends a lot of money on modifications is not likely to be shy of service intervals .

Share the ads your because not likely to start a bidding war on here all the Australian members already have their truck i reckon :thumbup:

If I was going for a petrol, I would recommend post 95, as pre 95 is OBD1.

Right! good idea, here's the link to the two models. Im still just a beginner in owning one of these cars so as much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the quick reply by the by guys.

80 series - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

LPG for the 93 makes the 95 a clear winner for me regardless of the 95 looking like it is worth 6k more .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have any suggestions otherwise from 80 series im all ears. I juSt want to be sure im looking for a car that can be repaired and upgraded, aka a strong vehicle that i can grow with and learn from.

If i lived in Australia my kids first car would be an FJ40 but you won't find a stronger truck than an 80 that can compete and beat anything more modern , buy the best you can afford - learning because you want to is far more fun than learning because you have to :thumbup:

Is there anywhere else anyone might know of retailers or someone selling a quality built 80s, cauz no offence fb i there really isn't much security in ln it haha. This fb is usually cheap.

Right! good idea, here's the link to the two models. Im still just a beginner in owning one of these cars so as much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the quick reply by the by guys.

80 series - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

For many in the UK the 95 year one would be their dream vehicle ....although mostly we would want a 1HDT .... or 1HD FT....

Back