Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

"new" wheels for my 90-series

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Got 4 alloys off ebay for my collie, at £35 each incl. shipping - a bargain i think :dance:

My collie has 6" wide alloys as standard (16 x 6JJ), being an FX. the "new" wheels are 16 x 7JJ
the original wheels are 30 offset, new ones are 15, so will stick out more at sides, as well as being wider.
I fitted a wheel and dont think the tread on a tyre will stick out past body (FX doesnt have arch flares) but sidewalls will.
I plan to get some BFG AT 265/75 16 for them. These tyres and wheels to be used for offroading trips.
this will give a wider stance to the vehicle and a lift of 2" with the taller tyres. :twisted:
I will keep the original skinny wheels on most of the time and replace the grabbers with a more road biased tyre when they wear out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

dont get my yorkshire blood boiling andrew,
hopefully get tyres fitted on Saturday

didnt realize you had joinedup on here :clap:

new tyres fitted today,
stance much better and speedo reads spot on with a gps now
and 3.5cm increase in ground clearance :dance:

And thanks to AndrewT for the adjustable towball drop-plate - the front wheels of twin axle trailer will be on the ground when towing it !! ;)

2011-12-17%25252012.21.38.jpg

2011-12-17%25252011.21.39.jpg

2011-12-17%25252011.49.17.jpg

2011-12-17%25252011.21.16.jpg

before_after.jpg

What made you go for 75 profile over standard 70 and do they clear the upper ball joint on the front? I didn't realise the FX has 6 inch wheels, just been out and checked mine, does yours run 215.80 tyres and like me do you have much trouble obtaining them? One other thing, what is the fuel consumption like with the standard wheels/tyres, would be interesting to see if it improves with the bigger tyres.

Hi Tim

I chose 75 profile for the extra tallness of the tyre to give more lift/ground clearance.

when i got my 90-series it had 235/70-R16 road biased tyres. I wanted AT, and got 225/75-R16 general grabber AT2's, i could not get BFG AT or grabber AT in 215-80 R16 (which is the factory size for the 215/80-R16).... they are not available in that size.

with the General grabber AT2 237/70R16 and a modifed landcruiser auto (winch, heavy rock sliders etc) i have been got an average of 23.7 mpg over last 2 years,
i suspect it will be less fuel efficient with then taller and wider wheel/tyre combo
since the FX also has different differential gearing ratio.
i think 4:1 compared to 4:3 on the GX/VX spec... or is it the otherway around.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that, mine was the same, 235 tyres which are slightly smaller than the 215s, the problem was that the original spare was still there so when the 235s wore out I replaced them with Falken Landairs in 215.80X16 to get it back to spec. They're not the best tyre but the only other option was a road tread that would have been useless driving at my wife's stables. I suppose 23mpg average is what I get although I do manage a reasonable 22mpg when towing a trailer with my 1 ton car on the back. I would think you're correct with the 4.1 diff for the FX as the tyres are smaller than on a GX.
I've been looking for another set of wheels for ages, seems I didn't look on ebay at the right time. :violin:

Back