Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New / Young Driver - Wisdom on Insurance required:

Roger

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I know your hearts lie with the Land Cruiser but I am after anybody's experience of insuring a vehicle for a new and for a young driver - my 17 old daughter and partner are about to start driving - AT THE SAME TIME! :sob:

So, it looks like I will be buying two more cars very soon, has any body got any recent experience on what to buy that gives good insurance deals?

According to the internet the following is the top 10:

• Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 (2005-14)
  • Ford KA (1996-2008 & 2009 onwards)
  • Vauxhall Corsa (2006-09)
  • Toyota Yaris (2006-11)
  • Suzuki Swift (2005-11)
  • Ford Fiesta (2002-2008 & 2008 onwards)
  • SEAT Ibiza (2008 onwards)
  • Fiat 500 (2008 onwards)
  • Mazda2 (2007-15)
  • VW Polo (2002-9 & 2009 onwards)

I managed to talk the Mrs out of being insured on the Mercedes E class - by means of its an automatic and far too easy to drive for it to be a learners car. She thinks the LandCruiser 80 is too big - Im not arguing that point!

Whilst its an insurance group 15 (compared to most of the above sitting in 5 to 10) - I have been homing in on the Audi A2, I read an article a few months back where it seems the A2 is totally overlooked by most and was actually quite advanced for its time with frugal engines, an aluminium structure and good crash protection.

When I first passed my test I found the cheapest cars to insure were cars you wouldn't normally find a new driver in. Things like Jaguars, Volvo etc. The key was an oddball car.

Things might have changed now though.

Can't help you with your question Roger, but thanks for the heads-up :icon-wink: :lol:

Jokes aside, is this article of any interest?

Cheers Clive - its a good read.

Biggest problem I have is cost, I need to be careful not to set a standard, the Mrs can have a little more spent but the stepdaughter is closely followed by my sons who are only 2 and 4 years away from driving as well - as always with kids fairness needs to be applied so Im capping the spend!

My suggestion would be to look for some registration plates, and then drop them into GoCompare or similar.

Car wise, have a look up a class as well - they can be cheaper as others have said as they aren't as popular as the smaller cars with Learners.

You'll find that insurance whilst they are a learner is often bearable (ish) but once they get their licence it hits the roof.

The other one is that location has a massive bearing; unfortunately this is a costly one to change, but if you're sending them away it may be cheaper in 18 months time (and more legitimate) - I always remember a friend who was 19 or 20, a university student who wrote off her Vauxhall Agila (it had roof rails, therefore was an ideal kayak carrier) and replaced it with her Dad's old Vectra... Insurance was the same as by that time she was based pretty much in Bangor and not Blackburn...

This isn't wisdom at all, I was just curious. If my daughter had just passed her test aged 17 and she was the sole registered driver on my Jimny; £2K - 5K. On the 120; £10K - 12K. :coldsweat:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My suggestion would be to look for some registration plates, and then drop them into GoCompare or similar.

Car wise, have a look up a class as well - they can be cheaper as others have said as they aren't as popular as the smaller cars with Learners.

You'll find that insurance whilst they are a learner is often bearable (ish) but once they get their licence it hits the roof.

The other one is that location has a massive bearing; unfortunately this is a costly one to change, but if you're sending them away it may be cheaper in 18 months time (and more legitimate) - I always remember a friend who was 19 or 20, a university student who wrote off her Vauxhall Agila (it had roof rails, therefore was an ideal kayak carrier) and replaced it with her Dad's old Vectra... Insurance was the same as by that time she was based pretty much in Bangor and not Blackburn...

I like the idea of going up a class, Im a fan of bigger cars in general safety, usability, practicality, room to work on etc.

I don't think the obscure vehicle thing suggested by Ed applies any more .

I have the same problem with the daughters boyfriend who is about 23 .

Its a no win situation , search for the low insurance groups and you get cars with a very short life expectancy and the policy will be £1000 plus anyway . If you buy a car worth a few hundred quid just to get them started the policy price goes up .

I was 40 years old when i decided to buy my collie and paid just over £1000 insurance which i accepted as consequence of my having no driving license , two weeks later i passed my test and insurance demanded another 2 or 300 quid . 4 years and a few modifications later this years renewel is in front of me now £624.98

Trouble is from an insurance point of view South Wales is separate from England and so it qualifies as the highest insurance risk area in Wales . Premiums here cost more than they do in London which is England's highest risk area .

What i did with our son is buy him a 2002 Toyota Corolla D4D 1.9 with 40k on the clock and took the insurance hit accepting they have a car that will last them years with no repair bills . 2 years on i have no regrets as it made good financial sense for them . They do pay me back slowly but surely because they will need help again one day .

The daughter on the other hand is proving as usual to be a mare , she actual wants a cute and cuddly toy car . I have told her to find a Jap or German motor with under 50k on the clock for the right price and then we will talk . The boyfriend passed his test 6 months ago poor bugger .

I know your hearts lie with the Land Cruiser but I am after anybody's experience of insuring a vehicle for a new and for a young driver - my 17 old daughter and partner are about to start driving - AT THE SAME TIME! :sob:

So, it looks like I will be buying two more cars very soon, has any body got any recent experience on what to buy that gives good insurance deals?

According to the internet the following is the top 10:

• Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 (2005-14)
  • Ford KA (1996-2008 & 2009 onwards)
  • Vauxhall Corsa (2006-09)
  • Toyota Yaris (2006-11)
  • Suzuki Swift (2005-11)
  • Ford Fiesta (2002-2008 & 2008 onwards)
  • SEAT Ibiza (2008 onwards)
  • Fiat 500 (2008 onwards)
  • Mazda2 (2007-15)
  • VW Polo (2002-9 & 2009 onwards)

I managed to talk the Mrs out of being insured on the Mercedes E class - by means of its an automatic and far too easy to drive for it to be a learners car. She thinks the LandCruiser 80 is too big - Im not arguing that point!

Whilst its an insurance group 15 (compared to most of the above sitting in 5 to 10) - I have been homing in on the Audi A2, I read an article a few months back where it seems the A2 is totally overlooked by most and was actually quite advanced for its time with frugal engines, an aluminium structure and good crash protection.

I'd agree with you on going up a size, If you go for the obvious "first car" it will be associated with the accident history of that type of vehicle. My neice has a ford focus diesel and it's reasonable but for the first year she has the telemetry box which costs a 100 Pounds or something and it tells them how you drive.
From memory VW had a small engined Golf that was great for insurance and its way more solid than say a Citroen where the panels are made at the Rizla factory.

I had wiped my hands off this problem or at least until they bring it back to me but your post got me thinking again and Honda are a fair bet , a quick look shows they also do their own insurance for new and used which might be worth investigating .

Peugeot do a deal 18+ it's £100 a month for car service and insurance. I don't think you will get insurance on its own for less.

My lad was recently in this position. In the end we got a VW Lupo 1.7 non turbo diesel. Not a bad little car. With a black box fitted the insurance came out at around the £750 mark. I was staggered it was that low. Car was in great condition and still is. Now SORNED as he doesn't need it at the money being at Uni. £35 road tax too!! Loads of parts available and well built. Also gave 55 mpg.

Trouble is from an insurance point of view South Wales is separate from England and so it qualifies as the highest insurance risk area in Wales . Premiums here cost more than they do in London which is England's highest risk area .

There's quite a range in South Wales though. I'm guessing you're somewhere around CF62 which is an "F" rating; the highest risk. Where as I live about 30 miles from you and am a "D" rating. Most of Camarthenshire, and around Abergavenny is lowest risk, "A".

www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

South Wales as a whole has lower premiums than the UK average.

https://azcamsmedia.azureedge.net/m...-car-insurance-prices-study-Q3-2016-final.pdf

It was ages ago i looked into it Rob and there were lots of actual policy comparisons to find . I can't be bothered to revisit it as i long ago decided the way insurance is calculated makes it government approved organized crime in an case .

Interesting article on watchdog just now... false readings from tele metrics black boxes.

Is nothing honest these days ? ffs.

I don't know where your at with this Rodger but the daughter has started nagging me again so i sat her down and made her get quotes for a few disposable toy cars . Lets say £1200ish for insurance .

In her case a a 1.8 diesel Corolla was £1600 but it will last long past them getting a 3 years no claims discount and when it is time to change cars they won't get shafted with a huge increase "because its a bigger engine" .

There's also a 1.4 diesel Corolla which was quoted at £1400 for cover .

Used car reviews rate them high for reliability .

Back