Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie from Ireland with 1998 Prado

frank purcell

Country Flag
ireland
I own a 1998 Prado that has low miles and runs beautifully. My issue is that I can't get parts as Toyota no longer manufactures them. I need to find some after market or salvage parts. At the moment I am having isssues with my clock assembly. My speedo is not working nor is the odometer and trip indicator. I am not going to pass my next road inspection due to these issues. How do you tap into the world wide salvage market?
The problem is not so much the clock assembly itself but the copper connectors that are on the back cover of the clock assembly. They are not making a good connection, Any ideas?

Hi and welcome....Have you contacted Kevin in North-South Toyota in Monaghan? He has a huge stock of new and used parts. Worth a try certainly. Got a rear wiper motor a few weeks back and delivered to my door next day.

Check him out on DoneDeal.

If not others here may be able to help

Bob, thanks for your reply. I purchased the car in Qatar. There are very few of this model in Ireland. I will try them. What is done deal?
As I am hew to the site, I am having trouble navigating around it.

Hi Frank,
Loose all connectors from clock assembly and spray them with electrolube and reconnect.
Most likely bat earth in one of those connectors. I had the same problem a few years ago ...

Jack, thanks for your advise, that is the exact problem. The Toyota dealer has demonstrated how the connectors look worn and are not making a good connection. On occasion they connect and the spedo dial jumps all around the place. Initially it was only the speedo but now the odometer and trip indicator are not working either. There are about 5 copper connector in that back cover and a few of them seem to be unaffected. I need to find out what electrolube is and get some. A parts dealer also recommended one of these kits to repair the heating element in the rear view window. He said it came with a tube of gold paint and that if I put that on the connectors they would make a good contact.

Hi Frank,
A warm welcome from me, (another recent newbie)

This may or may not be of some help...I was recently trying to get my alarm/central locking keyfob working and was recommended to head to a laptop repair company as some of them can offer to do "sonic" cleaning of circuit boards etc. They do this process with laptop and computer motherboards and as your copper contacts are similar to a circuit board you may have some success? It was at a cost of £30 so a bit expensive for my purposes but good luck if you try it.

Cheers,
Mark

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jack, I have sent a note to the manufacturers of Electrolube and am getting some information. I wanted to ask you a question. My problem is not with the web attachment but with the five or six copper strips or ribbons that make contact at the back of the clock assembly to the speedo, rpm readout, the odometer, fuel gage and trip indicator. Was that the same problem that you had?

Hi Frank,
A warm welcome from me, (another recent newbie)

This may or may not be of some help...I was recently trying to get my alarm/central locking keyfob working and was recommended to head to a laptop repair company as some of them can offer to do "sonic" cleaning of circuit boards etc. They do this process with laptop and computer motherboards and as your copper contacts are similar to a circuit board you may have some success? It was at a cost of £30 so a bit expensive for my purposes but good luck if you try it.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, thanks, I had thought of that and it
was going to be one of my fall back positions as it is a connection issue that people who solder boards run into all the time. It is not really a mechanical issue. I just posted this question today and have had a number of good suggestions.

Bob, thanks for your reply. I purchased the car in Qatar. There are very few of this model in Ireland. I will try them. What is done deal?
As I am hew to the site, I am having trouble navigating around it.

It's the buying and selling app, but you'll find him on Google too. The reason I suggest is that most parts are interchangeable, and he would likely have a few Jap import Prado's with kilometer clocks like yours. If the cleaning suggested above doesn't do the trick, it might be worth a call.

I presume you're back in Ireland, after bringing it home from Qatar? What model is it?

It's the buying and selling app, but you'll find him on Google too. The reason I suggest is that most parts are interchangeable, and he would likely have a few Jap import Prado's with kilometer clocks like yours. If the cleaning suggested above doesn't do the trick, it might be worth a call.

I presume you're back in Ireland, after bringing it home from Qatar? What model is it?

Bob, I actually only live in Ireland in the summer. I am presently in the US. The car however is in Ireland. As you suggested, this model was not manufactured for the US market and as it has its clock in kilometers theee are no parts in the US. I need to tap into the European and midlle East suppliers. It is a 1998 Prado with only about 120KM on the clock. I would post a picture but don't know how to do it on the site.

So its a KZJ95 five door or a KZJ90 three door , finding spares for either shouldn't be difficult .

Shayne, it is ia VZJ95L. Toyota is no longer manufacturing the parts that I need. It is a 5 door

I would think a quick scout on ebay should find you some parts or try one of those part finder companies in uk. It may be likely that you will have to buy the whole clock assembly rather than just the ribbon. If you take it off in advance of the new part then you only need to check the ribbon for continuity until you find the offending lead and possibly you may be able to jump it directly. You could also try anyamama!! if you don't mind waiting a few weeks. ask the Toyota tech who looked at it for the part number to help in your search.

The NCT testers are pretty thick so you could probably get away with painting on a set of dials and they wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

I got away with it for 2 years but now that the odometer doesn't work either they are going to wonder why I did not put any miles on in a year!

That's because you were in the US and only drove it in reverse( on the wrong side of the road) when you were home. Actually just buy a 2nd hand dash of ebay and stick it on top of the old one.

They mis-diagnosed a bottom ball joint in my car last year and gave me a pass cert at the re-test. Then in the same breath said not to drive it to far because it wasn't roadworthy but they couldn't actually tell if there was play in the steering! Oh dear I have just put another 15k on it and nothing fell off. idiots.

Back