Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie....LC5/2004 model...looking for initial checkout

Shirish

Country Flag
uk
Hello!

Just become a proud owner of an LC5/2004 model, Diesel/Auto.

The dealer has only included a limited 30-day warranty, and I wanted to get the vehicle thoroughly checked out to ensure all is in order.

From driving over the last 2 weeks, all seems well. Except that there is a tyre-squealing noise when cornering around roundabouts. Any thoughts re: what could be wrong?

Also, wanted to ask if it is worthwhile taking out a warranty for the first year? With Toyota, or any alternatives?

Any feedback/advice gratefully appreciated...

Shirish

Except that there is a tyre-squealing noise when cornering around roundabouts. Any thoughts re: what could be wrong?

Also, wanted to ask if it is worthwhile taking out a warranty for the first year? With Toyota, or any alternatives?

Shirish

Hi and welcome to the forum, whereabouts are you? it always helps if we know where you are so relevant help can be given, maybe not in this case perhaps as everything except your tyre noise seems to be OK, tyre noise? have you checked the pressures and tracking? and stop trying to drift around corners. :laughing-rolling:

Thanks for the prompt response, Cossack.

I am based in Eltham, SE London.

Re: the tyre-squealing noise around corners...yes, have checked pressures (29 psi). Could there be anything fundamentally wrong that needs urgent checkout/repairs?

Also any thoughts re: purchasing an extended warranty, or any recommendation re: getting the vehicle fully checked out upfront? And where?

Thanks in advance.

I get tyre squeal around corners but thats caused by POWER :lol:

Might be worth checking your fan belts though because it can sound very similar .

With regards to warranty all Toyota's are strongly built but if you just want that extra piece of mind i imagine warranty insurance is probably cheaper than anything a main dealer has to offer .

Fan belts can squeal because they are too tight as well as too loose so it might be worth just spraying it with WD-40 and seeing if the sound goes away .

Last edited:
Hello!

From driving over the last 2 weeks, all seems well. Except that there is a tyre-squealing noise when cornering around roundabouts. Any thoughts re: what could be wrong?

Shirish
Hi ,

29 psi is in many opinions too low.
I think Toyota stated 29 psi to offer a softer ride.
I am guessing your still on the Dunlop Grand Trek's ?

As a test, just inflate them all to 32 - 34 psi

At 29 psi, the shoulders of the fronts are cut away very quick.

I have BF Goodrich on mine, and run at 40 psi.

Gra.

What type of surface is the the squealing on? Mine was really loud on concrete (made more fun with speed and power) and also on round-abouts but that was when I was over cooking it. :D
As Graham said, 29 might be a bit low. I had mine at 35. The 120 does eat the shoulders of the front tyres pretty quick so this is what you could be hearing.

Could the sound be something else and not tyre? Wheel bearings on their way out will growl on corners.

Things I would check for on an early model is the brakes for seizing. Best way is to take the wheels off and move the calipers back. If they move and then return when you press the pedal, all is well. I had huge problems with mine which has seized and ultimately caused the front hub to wear out. Total cost for both is thick end of £700 :(

See here: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/42381-Failed-MOT and here: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/42247-Seal-and-piston-replacement-fron-brakes

Worth checking with Mr-T about the injector recall. See here: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...D4D-injector-recall?highlight=injector+recall

Great vehicle though, happy motoring!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
another thing to check is make sure the centre difflock isnt on - that would also cause tyres to squeal on corners
and very heavy steering...

so i am sure it wont be this

Hi Graham, yes still on the Dunlop Grand Trek's. Will try out 32 / 34 psi and see if the squealing sound persists. Thanks.

Thanks Crispin.

The squealing is on regular tarmac.....particularly on roundabouts, or any sharp bends. Will try 32/34 psi tyre pressure and see if the results are any different.

The dealer I purchased from advised that the fan belt had been recently changed. Just as a proactive measure, he said (!!). Also the brake-pads.

Hi Andy,
Checked the centre difflock, and thats not on.

Why did they change the brake pads? I would check the caliper. Check the disks too (look through the wheel spokes) they show signs of rubbing or blueish colouring?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'd favour increasing the tyre pressures, I run my 80 on GG ATs at 36 psi, and I can confirm that lower pressures fur sure encourage cornering squeal.

Also, have the tracking checked for the sake of a few quid, lots of unnecessary expensive tyre wear can result from poor alignment on any car.

Last edited:
Back