Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie looking into rear drawer fit out

Paul McDonald

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
Newbie here, G'day to all!
Have had a 2017 VX since new (in South Aus) and am looking into setting it up for my future travels with (amongst many other things) a well thought out draw system. I have removed the 3rd row seats and have been blogging the many different set ups out there. They do seem fairly standard, 2 drawers with a fridge slide etc etc...
I have noticed a few suppliers say that their system will not be suitable for a vehicle (200 series) with KDS.
Can anyone give me their "2 bobs worth" with respect to a good "tried and tested system/design" that is well thought out and can anyone also tell me why a fitout would/could affect the KDS... is this a weight thing?
Cheers in advance

Hi Paul and Welcome.

I’m rather drawing a blank with what KDS means. There’s not a lot of info on the 200 series being quite new but there’s members joining regularly. It might be worth having a chat with one of the manufacturers that are saying they are not suitable to find out why and reporting back. Have you looked at Drifta?

I had the rear of my Troopy fitted out by Drifta. https://www.drifta.com.au/4wd-drawers/#Toyota
I would recommend you give Beachy a call and discuss your needs, apart from quality (which is very good) Drifta will work with you and build you a system suited to your needs...... rather than just sell you a standard off the shelf system.

Hi Paul and Welcome.

I’m rather drawing a blank with what KDS means. There’s not a lot of info on the 200 series being quite new but there’s members joining regularly. It might be worth having a chat with one of the manufacturers that are saying they are not suitable to find out why and reporting back. Have you looked at Drifta?

Thanks for the reply, as you suggested the manufacturer finally got back to me and it's not a weight thing it's a size issue.
The models with KDS models are actually narrower in the rear, you could measure the space in the rear and you would measure a width of about 1030. The drawers themselves are 1070 so that is why they are not suitable for 200 series with KDS. Also I have browsed Drifta's site and they seem pretty good. Thanks again for the heads up.
Cheers

I had the rear of my Troopy fitted out by Drifta. https://www.drifta.com.au/4wd-drawers/#Toyota
I would recommend you give Beachy a call and discuss your needs, apart from quality (which is very good) Drifta will work with you and build you a system suited to your needs...... rather than just sell you a standard off the shelf system.
Thanks Charlie,
I will get in touch with Drifta, the problem for me is that I am not quite sure what I need as yet as apart from the usual travelling with the fridge and gear etc at some stage we will need to make some space to transport the hairy Labrador. I may need to be able to remove parts of the system to make space.
From what your saying I'm sure drifta may have a solution.
Thanks again.
Cheers

Lots of guys build their own Paul. I have, Ben has and aeronick also and they are all different. The other thing to consider is that building your own can be costly in time as well as materials so factor that in when you get a price quoted. I probably spent over two solid weeks of not longer building mine. Most folks would change what they build as their prototype and do things differently after they’ve lived with it. With these things in mind I think working with Drifta is an excellent idea. Put together a wish list and have a look at other folks builds and see what you like and what you don’t. Ben has made his versatile so it can accommodate his Collie Lexie. My brief was to keep weight low, encorporate the fridge in a drawer and have 3 exchangeable drawers for work and camping (which hasn’t worked out just yet as they’re heavy). Drifta’s Idea of sliders rather than runners seems good.
Let us know what your decide and how the build goes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lots of guys build their own Paul. I have, Ben has and aeronick also and they are all different. The other thing to consider is that building your own can be costly in time as well as materials so factor that in when you get a price quoted. I probably spent over two solid weeks of not longer building mine. Most folks would change what they build as their prototype and do things differently after they’ve lived with it. With these things in mind I think working with Drifta is an excellent idea. Put together a wish list and have a look at other folks builds and see what you like and what you don’t. Ben has made his versatile so it can accommodate his Collie Lexie. My brief was to keep weight low, encorporate the fridge in a drawer and have 3 exchangeable drawers for work and camping (which hasn’t worked out just yet as they’re heavy). Drifta’s Idea of sliders rather than runners seems good.
Let us know what your decide and how the build goes.
Cheers mate, will definitely get in touch with Drifta as I certainly do not have time to knock anything up at this stage, thanks for the advice. (if Ben sees this thread it would be great to hear about his set up)

Hive a look through this thread. Probably start 2/3 the way through and go forward or back depending on what you find.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/lj78-build-thread.147283/
Man O Man... That's a whopper project, makes my little rear fit out seem some what insignificant.
Anyway... Thanks for the link, I like the fridge lower as I have seen a lot of people with steps for the vertically challenged (especially if you have a lift kit etc) and have always wondered why not have it lower. I like the 2 drawers stacked, as next to them I'm tipping is where Ben fits the puppy. Over head mesh racks/trays coming off a cargo barrier for soft stuff and also just above the fridge (to avoid any packing stuff on top of fridge.)
Time to measure things up and see how much space I'll have, or not have and get in touch with Drifta.
Thanks a lot for spending the time and the info, people like you make this forum is a cracker.
Cheers

That’s the thing about this particular forum Paul, it’s very friendly with loads of knowledgeable guys helping people out. Keep us updated with what you end up with and the process you go through. It’s a record for you and will no doubt be a help to others down the line.

Back