Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie Questions

steverjuk

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Firstly may I apologize with all the question but I've got a few more.

1) Am I correct that there isn't a courtesy light switch on the boot? so when you open the boot the rear cabin light doesn't come on? If that's the case I think I'm going to add one and a boot light as well.

2) How hard is it to replace the following dashboard bulb, as when I go over dumps it turns itself on and off
dashboard.jpg

3) What do people use to glue back together plastics? as I've noticed the tab on my drives sidelight has snapped, so it's no longer screwed in just on the push in tab thing.

4) Am I ok to replace my indicators with LEDs or is the relay going to go mental and think a bulb is out like on the LandRover?

5) When I start my motor the voltage slowly climbs from just under 12ish volts to 14ish volts but it takes about 30 - 45 seconds, then holds around 14 until I blip the throttle. Surely it should jump to around 14ish straight away. I believe this is leading to all my warning lights being on until I blip the throttle.

6) Some of a bulb on the AC controls have stopped working when the lights come on, any good location to get replacements as it's really annoying.

7) Will a 33inch spare wheel fit underneath ?

Sorry for all the question, I'm sure I owe most of the people on the forum a few drinks for all the help. Remind me that if I ever make a meetup.

Last edited:
1) there doesn't seem to be a standard for interior lighting. Some get one above the boot some don't Some have the wiring there ready some don't. If you can't see one then clearly there isn't! I have added OEM ones before but with the array of LED stuff that's available now, I'd just do your own.

2) dash light is easy, just annoying in terms of screw and clips etc

4) unless you fit ballasts yes the winkies will go blinkie mad.

6) Unfortunately Maplins is no more. We used to use sub miniature bulbs from them. Might need to be OEM but not sure if they do them any more. I'm sure Karl could get you a handful.

Thanks @Chris managed to track down the bulb thanks to another forum thread anyone intered these should fit. Got theme orderedx they are coming tomorrow so ill let you know if they do.

Have to try and figure out how to pull apart the dashboard now to get to that damn fuel gauge bulb.

Wonder if the same variable relay you use in the Defenders would fit the flasher relay in the landcruiser that way you can twist the variable resistor in there to fool the systems.

Thanks @Chris managed to track down the bulb thanks to another forum thread anyone intered these should fit. Got theme orderedx they are coming tomorrow so ill let you know if they do.

Have to try and figure out how to pull apart the dashboard now to get to that damn fuel gauge bulb.

Wonder if the same variable relay you use in the Defenders would fit the flasher relay in the landcruiser that way you can twist the variable resistor in there to fool the systems.
Don’t bank on it, but the pod should come out in one by undoing 2 cross-head screws that go vertically up under the top into the dash frame. Get on your knees and look up, you should see them.

For load-bay lights, I wired in some self-adhesive LED strips and it’s like daylight in the back with them on. Mine’s a bit overkill, so you don’t really need this many...

Theres 4 rows of three each side with a local rocker switch...

450DF337-6211-4261-8A99-4F128567F74D.jpeg
46181D1F-F749-4C37-B86E-EB2321893B55.jpeg
0A9282C3-49B7-4C09-BF65-EA630A326CDC.jpeg

Although self adhesive, I put a screw in each to stop them falling off... :lol:

There is a switch on the tailgate hatch. The interior light over the 2nd row seats should come on when it's opened.

The oem cargo light is still available as are the dash bulbs.

Yes, a 33" tyre will fit.

Ive never had much luck with glues on such plastics. I have a heat stapler that works great for such repairs.

3) just message @karl webster for a replacement used indicator. Gluing plastic is never that successful.

5) use a multimeter on your battery terminals as I’ve suggested elsewhere to test voltage. The gauge in the dash is an indicator not a test instrument. If there’s a problem follow advice previously given re alternators.

We will remind you, don’t worry. :)

The dash comes apart from the left. Search on here for a thread on speedo not working where there’s some info on how it comes apart.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@StarCruiser The voltages read are of a multimeter. May just drop the 18 quid on a new side light then or maybe just epoxy the crap out of the current one.

@chapel gate strange the light doesn't come on when i open the boot, I'll have to track down the switch and test it.

Thanks again for the help.

No worries.
If your ever passing I'll fix that side light for you.
I've repaired loads of broken headlight brackets with it.

Ct1 is good stuff steve. or tiger seal.

Happy to send you door switches etc if you need any.

Make sure the interior light is switched to 'door'. We've had that one before.

@Chris Yea the rear light works when you open the rear doors but doesn't come on when you open the boot. I've had a look but i cant see any switch on the boot on either the lower or uper part that would turn it on, am I missing something?

@Chris Yea the rear light works when you open the rear doors but doesn't come on when you open the boot. I've had a look but i cant see any switch on the boot on either the lower or uper part that would turn it on, am I missing something?
Bit of a trade secret here..:shh:
Its part of the latching mechanism on the upper tailgate. Remove the plastic handle on the inside of the hatch.:icon-wink:

@chapel gate thanks for that, wouldn't have guessed that coming from Landrover's that have separate switches.

Have a look at the wiring in the rubber sleeve from the top tailgate. If it’s been used a lot then the wire can crack and break there. It’s also worth swapping the festoon type lamps in the interior lights for decent LED ones. Not expensive and turn gloom into something very usable.

@StarCruiser The voltages read are of a multimeter.

I didn’t know you were using a multimeter as you’ve posted about this on your other questions thread here https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/leaky-landcruiser-80-image-heavy.151731/unread where I’ve given you an answer detailing tests/ fixes to do on your alternator. Have you done these? What was the outcome? Also check your idle speed is sufficient which I’m guessing it is. There’s a difinitive speed but around 900 after start settling to 650 or so seems to be normal.

Ideally it’s best to keep a question going on the same thread rather than change to a new thread part way through. It will help anyone with the same issue who is reading your thread looking for the answers.

@chapel gate so i took the handle off and checked the wires from the latch using a multimeter. And its showing that the switch is good, I then checked the wired in the rubber boot between the door and tailgate, all good, can't see anything. Then removed the rear light and checked led the plug there, when the rear door is open 12v flows between the 2 pin connector, closed the door open circuit. Do the same with the boot and always open circuit. Is there a fuse, diode etc or something that may have gone, as the door warning light on the dash also doesn't come on when the boot is open but does when the rear door is open.

@StarCruiser yea changed the bulbs for leds makes a massive difference, actually can see things in the car are night now, going to fit another one in the boot though, may just copy @clivehorridge and use those 12v led strips. I'll respond to the alternator question on the other thread.

Last edited:
There’s no fuse in the wiring to the rear light, but I think there may be a diode somewhere. Remove the rubber sleeve gently from the body and continue easing the wires out. There’s a plug there. Check it’s connected the separate and short the pins on the Body side and see if the light comes on. If so the fault lies in the tailgate wiring. Check again from end to end with the meter.

You can get corrosion in the plugs in the top tailgate. Try and get as much wiring out to find the plugs, sliding it out after removing grommets. Bad earth here drove me more nuts and created light havoc on the instrument panel.

You can get corrosion in the plugs in the top tailgate. Try and get as much wiring out to find the plugs, sliding it out after removing grommets. Bad earth here drove me more nuts and created light havoc on the instrument panel.
Where was that earth Frank?

Back