Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie-Salvage question

gubmintmole

Country Flag
united_states
Hello, I stumbled upon what looks like a 1987 FJ60 in my hometown. As far as I can tell from Google Earth it has been sitting outside in a driveway for roughly the last 10-13 years. At what point does one of these beyond saving? Would it even be good for parts? Thanks for any and all input as I know pretty much nothing.

Attachments

• fj60.jpg
    fj60.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 36
Hi. I would suggest, as with any restoration, it's a maths equation. Condition of chassis + amount of bodywork (rust) ÷ your mechanical ability = £££££

In all seriousness, you'd have to inspect the underside of that. Engine is probably OK, as would the interior as it looks well closed up. Hidden rust will kill it..

Thanks. I know very little but have contacted some experts to get their opinion as well. The interior still looks pretty good...right down to the owners work id badge (expired in 2003) hanging from the rear view mirror. The body panel rust seems typical. I agree with you that if it is rusted underneath, it probably is not worth pursuing. Hate to see one of these basically thrown away from neglect though.

Would it even be good for parts?
Good question.A really close look would tell you more.Depending on what you find it might still be worth making an offer if you've got somewhere to store it or work on it .It could be a donor for another project, better than going for scrap .

Depends on how far down the restoration road you want to go.

Rust on the chassis is the killer. In particular anywhere close to front most and rear most leaf spring shackle mounts and tub attachment points.

On tub check for rust near chassis mount points and sills underneath door pillars.

My experience of fixing 70's up is expect to rebuild hubs, brakes, power steering and clutch. Only ever had to do a small bit of welding on one tub out of three. Never had to weld a chassis. All 3 came from a hot dry climate.

I would be interested to see photos of the chassis.

What do you use for snow on the roads in USA? In UK rock salt is used and it rots the underneath of cars fast. I France they use crushed gravel and cars don't rot so quickly.

And probably worth a small fortune in parts.

Thanks for the replies. If I can get hold of the owner I will see if he will let me take pictures of the chassis and go from there. I live in MD so the roads do get salted in the winter.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back