Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie to forum and in need of help!

Craigus76

Supporter
Country Flag
south_africa
Hey guys

I am new to the forum and a proud and happy owner of a 97 VX Amazon :) However at the moment she isn't moving as the centre diff is locked. So apologies for saying hello and jumping straight into it but please can someone help!?

I have had some advise from South Africa TLC forum via a Marius Krijt (Thx!) buddy - and it appears that it is electrical as when moving the transfer shifter from H to L you can hear the relay click in the dashboard but there is no motor actuating sound underneath - i don't have the switch on the dash for the centre lock - it engages with the shifting.

Consequently my car is parked outside my flat and unable to take anywhere. Does anyone know of an auto electrician in the south London - Morden area? As i cant drive it i need someone to come put - i have tried 3 auto electricians and either don`t come out or wont touch as its 4x4?!?!

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks guys

PS: Will upload a better pic soon but as you guys like pics i thought i would chuck in what i had at hand! :)

THx

craig

Welcome to the forum Craig, not a bad intro at all TBH, better than most!

How long has the CDL been locked? So the only way you can lock it is to shift to low and the only way to unlock it is to shift to high? I have a CDL switch, but I know there are different configurations.
Have you tried driving it on the loose in circles and reversing it the same way?

This often works with axle diff locks, my front locker can be a bit lazy disengaging.

I can't help you with an electrician, but someone might be able to advise.

IMO, if the front tyres are equally as worn as the rear and the same dimensions and make, you should be able to drive it to a workshop. If it's not too far.

Hi Craig, couple of things to try. First, try removing the fuse for the CDL and see if that does anything. Not sure on yours if the CDL powers in AND out or spring returns. Second, try driving in a straight line forwards then backwards. Try neutral on the main gearbox after each with the truck rolling then braking. I had a slightly reluctant CDL over the weekend and this seemed to disengage mine.

Also, it's probably worth putting this question on its own with an appropriate title in the 80 section. That way more people in the know will see it and respond.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
Best Wishes
Richard

Hi Craig, couple of things to try. First, try removing the fuse for the CDL and see if that does anything. Not sure on yours if the CDL powers in AND out or spring returns. Second, try driving in a straight line forwards then backwards. Try neutral on the main gearbox after each with the truck rolling then braking. I had a slightly reluctant CDL over the weekend and this seemed to disengage mine.

Also, it's probably worth putting this question on its own with an appropriate title in the 80 section. That way more people in the know will see it and respond.

Best Wishes
Richard

Good advice from Rich there, he knows about electrickery! I'm fairly sure mine powers in and Spring releases but I'm no expert, have a go as advised, you won't do damage.

Best Wishes
Richard
I've found that rolling backwards down a slope/ kerb in neutral helps to free off windup & May do the trick.have you had this truck long? why were yo in
low?

Good advice from Rich there, he knows about electrickery! I'm fairly sure mine powers in and Spring releases but I'm no expert, have a go as advised, you won't do damage.
Hi Clive & Richard

Wow thx a bunch for such prompt responses. Below is the original post my mate put up in SA for interest. Richard i did take it for drive but when taking a wide turn on the round about it sounded like the drive chain was gonna snap - serious clanking noises :( i have tried on loose dirt road and also backwards and forwards but not doing the neutral thing. Batteries are on charge at mo so will have to try that tomorrow if i have space. I checked the fuse and its fine but haven't tried starting with out it in. THX will let you know and also repost

1997 80 series - manual with 3 diff locks, centre diff lock doesn't have a switch on dash - is activated by moving into L range. Haven't ever taken it off-road so always in H range. Fitted a new radio and with car off I moved it into L range to remove the console. Switched electrics on with it in L range. Then whilst off moved it back into H range and started car - centre diff and Abs lights on and centre diff definitely locked. Took for 5 mile drive and wouldn't budge. Made some clacking noises round corners - not good! Can shift between H and L and makes no difference - lights stay on and diff locked. When shifting between the ranges I can hear the electric relay "click" in the dash but doesn't change. If I engage the back and/or front diffs the lights flash and doesn't appear to engage them. Tried removing radio although was a straight harness to harness installation so didnt fiddle with any electrics. Also unplugged electric fitting on transfer box and didn't do anything. Please advise if u think is electric or mechanical as need to call someone out as can't move car but don't know who to call!? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't offer more, but as Rich suggested, post a thread in the 80 section with a clear title, can't unlock CDL or something similar.

There's good advice on here, you may be able to fix it yourself, with help.

Sounds mechanical. Especially if you've tried with the wiring disconnected from the actuator on the transfer box. Any tight turns or long drive on anything but a loose surface is not good for the transfer box. IIRC the 80s are gears not a chain in the transfer box.

It sounds to me like you need to check that you have oil, on its own, of the correct sort and the correct amount in the transfer box as it is independent of the main gearbox. Possibly drain it and see what it looks like, with any rust or water present. You may need to go further and investigate the actuator, possibly removing it. This is where my minimal knowledge in this area ends I'm afraid.

The axle diff locks are easy to remove but I don't know about the CDL, is that internal?

Chris would know, but he's trying to light a fire in Finland somewhere, 'cos his gas regulator has just shat itself

Hey guys

thx and will post in 80s section now - just been a bit under kosh at work. StarCruiser i am a bit confused cause the chap in SA seemed to think if you cant hear the actuator coming on that its electrical, not mechanical. Oil levels are defoio 100% as had this done by Toyota in December and my baby dont leak a drop so think am ok ther. Batteries trickle charging so will have to have a go on weekend - will post in 80-0s section though. Thx Guys! Much appreciated

Best Wishes
Richard

Hey Richard - cheers will try this out when there is space in my road as dont want to have top take it around the block as am worried i am gonna break something - noises werent good! Have posted in 80`s section. thx

That's the way, or copy, select a chosen word in your text such as 'here' open the link icon and paste the IRL. That way the chosen word becomes a hyperlink and activates the link.

Back