Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie to Land Cruisers

Tom Edwards

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi there,
After a few years of driving other people's Landies (I'm allowed to swear !) I decided that it was time to buy my own, and settled for an 80's Cruiser.
Spent many months waiting for my criteria, petrol with lpg, low mileage with some off road kit.
Apologies, but I hate diesel as a fuel, and the way the price is going I think the pence/mile petrol is a good choice?
The avatar is what I bought.
1996 80 series with various mods, but criteria met.
It needs tidying up and the once over by a knowledgeable mechanic (booked in tomorrow).
The lpg system needs attention, i.e. When running lpg and de-accelerating it cuts out!
Leather interior needs restoration as well as the carpet.
Near side front hub is weeping oil, minor but it needs resealing.
So I will be using for off road trips (want to able to sleep in the back, so need be able remove and fit "beds" easily/quickly and back to seats), or take to the beach with the kids/grandchildren!
And of course, cruise....
So that's me.

Welcome along Tom, the 80 petrol is a beast. Getting the LPG sorted will ease the strain on the wallet.

Nice one Tom, always good to get another 80 and its owner on here... welcome aboard :thumbup:

welcome Tom.

the petrols are beautiful to drive.

yourll love every minuet of it.

Hi Tom and Welcome. Looks an interesting truck you’ve got there. Hope the LPG system has valve oiling (I think it’s called something like ‘flash lube’) as otherwise I have read that valves can suffer. Your arches look good in the picture, are they a good fit in the flesh and do you know where they came from if more were wanted?
Lots to do on a truck to get it ‘baselined’ Before adding stuff but you’ve come to the right place for friendly knowledgeable folk that love their cruisers.
Good to have you aboard.

Best wishes
Rich

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is that the one that was for sale on the Wirral?

Hi Animal, yes it was the one for sale in the Wirral.

Thank you for the welcome, these forums are great, used the ZClub one for a few years, still have a 260Z, my dilemma was the money to be used to restore her or buy an 80, well you can see what one!

Star Cruiser, thank you the guidance, I know little of lpg, so hints welcome.
I am researching an lpg garage, that knows what they are going!
As for the arches, they are a good fit except for the rubber piece between the arch and body work, I don't think it's formed, so slight "buckling", might take them off and try and form it a little with a hair dryer! I can ask the previous owner for the source as I believe he bought and fitted them.

Thank you again for the welcome.

Hi Tom and Welcome. Looks an interesting truck you’ve got there. Hope the LPG system has valve oiling (I think it’s called something like ‘flash lube’) as otherwise I have read that valves can suffer. Your arches look good in the picture, are they a good fit in the flesh and do you know where they came from if more were wanted?
Lots to do on a truck to get it ‘baselined’ Before adding stuff but you’ve come to the right place for friendly knowledgeable folk that love their cruisers.
Good to have you aboard.

Best wishes
Rich

Hi there,
Just checked with the previous owner, he got them from; https://www.alibaba.com/
Just use the search dialogue box, they sell all sorts.

Thank you again for the advice.
Tom

Hi there,
Just checked with the previous owner, he got them from; https://www.alibaba.com/
Just use the search dialogue box, they sell all sorts.

Thank you again for the advice.
Tom
Thanks Tom, would be great to see some more pics of your truck. If there were some of the arch extensions too that could help members wanting these. Just a thought. :) By the way, did we mention we love pics on here? :icon-biggrin:

Thanks Tom, would be great to see some more pics of your truck. If there were some of the arch extensions too that could help members wanting these. Just a thought. :) By the way, did we mention we love pics on here? :icon-biggrin:

Hi there,
Yes I can do photos, truck currently in mechanics garage to check front hubs.
I don't have a garage myself at the moment, really frustrating.
Try and get some up next weekend.

Back