Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie with a question about the 1 HD-T or FT

pengyou

Does anyone have this inline 6 cylinder diesel in their rig? If so, what is your opinion of it? I am especially interested in noise level, fuel economy and durability.

Noise level not bad unless you put a straight thru exhaust or side exit then they sound fab!

Fuel economy - manuals best. I get 26-28 in my manual driving gently but its on bio. Lifts bigger tyres etc drive it down.

Durability. Well maintained. unstoppable. and can run to crazy miles.

I have both. Clearly not in the same vehicle at the same time. Although hmmm....

They're both good but the 24v in manual config is better on fuel. But in proper tune the 12v is very good too. I don't think there is much to choose if they are both in good order. The 12v manual seems better on fuel. I guess you always lose out there. My 12v auto can squeeze 19 mpg if I'm careful. The 24v did nearly 29 mpg when standard but now I am around the 20 - 22 if lucky with all the extra kit I have on there.

Noise level is not bad at all, my step father on his first drive in mine asked me if I was sure it was diesel (24 valve), he was convinced it was petrol until I opened the bonnet and showed him the engine because it was too quiet, more fan pulling air than engine noise on standard exhaust.

Economy is not bad when compared to other vehicles in its class, mine is a manual with 2 inch lift on standard rims/tyres, has winch and winch bumper with headlamp protection (formerly known as a bull bar), roof rack and tent/awning and I have replaced the rear bumper with a steel after market bumper, I have also fitted a intercooler to mine and tweaked the injector pump and turbo for a little more performance and with a heavy foot I average 22 mpg around town, 25 mpg motorway and if I use a light foot on the power pedal I have achieved 29 mpg on the motorway following the HGV's, but that is way too boring lol.

The engine is renowned for it's longevity when properly maintained and the when the vehicle is properly maintained then the economy is good, tyre pressures are critical for economy,
I once got 14 mpg on a run before I thought to check tyre pressure after tyre swap on all four rims, pressure too low;).
The torque and power is something to behold.

Last edited:
I get around 18.5 out of my 12v auto but it's not very standard lol

I get 17-20mpg. Once saw 22mpg but never repeated it - could have been a miscalculation. Bigger tyres, a roof tent and some extra weight likely dragging the economy down. Engine noise level really isn't too bad, tyres drown a lot out. Durability if well maintained is pretty legendary.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As above with 24v manual and 305/70/16s - low 20s mpg typical, quiet for a diesel, 180,000 so far and feels good for the same again... :)

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of this engine? length x width x height? I am thinking of putting this in a medium or full sized Chevy van.

Back