Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie with a serious starter issue

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and just want to say that I joined because I was so impressed by how kind and helpful people were:

I do have a serious problem which I am not sure how to solve and I am hoping that it is a quick fix for someone who has a lot more experience that I do.

Symptomps:
Car turns over but wont start
Glow light doesnt come on when I turn the car on
Central locking doesnt lock.

I am hoping this is just a case of changing a few fuses.

If any one has any suggestions that would be great.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi Simon and Welcome. Thank you for your kind words this is indeed a most friendly forum.

As for your starter issue, I think we need a bit more to go on really. Model of cruiser would be useful, fuel type too, also what happened just before this began to happen? Also how did this start to happen?

In the meantime here’s some generic troubleshooting information.

First thing to do is start with the simple things and pull out each fuse one by one and test them before putting them back, renewing any that are blown with the correct type and rating of fuse. Test with a multimeter set to Ohms or continuity.
Then have a really good look around your engine for any plugs that may be loose or disconnected. Also check they are correctly latched together as sometimes they get disconnected and not put back together correctly. Look for any wiring damage, particularly if any work has been carried out on the truck. Check you have enough fuel in your tank (I know, but unless you see it with your own eyes, ‘nuff said). If it’s a diesel check for any water in the fuel by draining some out the bottom of your fuel filter. Pump the primer button on top of the fuel filter to see if it becomes harder after a few pumps.

Try these things and report back.

Good luck with it.
Rich

Its a diesel 100 series 2003 land cruiser,

It was jump started the wrong way!

The real concern for me is the fact that the glow light doesn't come on any more, I was hoping it was just a fuse but it seems to be fine. perhaps it could be the relay?

More importantly which engine is it? Hopefully a 1HZ that does have a mechanical fuel pump ...

Does the fuel cut off solenoid have a fuse? That would be my next thing to check.

Its a diesel 100 series 2003 land cruiser,

It was jump started the wrong way!

The real concern for me is the fact that the glow light doesn't come on any more, I was hoping it was just a fuse but it seems to be fine. perhaps it could be the relay?
When you say ‘jump started the wrong way’ do you mean + to - with some nasty sparks?

If so, check all fuses, as said, in the dash and under the bonnet. There are also fusible links at each smaller battery connection.

Engine type as Grant has said. You’ll need to do some testing to narrow it down.

"Glow light" ?? My understanding is that the 4.2 six cylinder 1HD-FTE motor doesn't have glow plugs . . I haven't seen any on mine anyway.

Instead, there is a heater matrix upstream of the EGR valve which only activates in very cold weather.

Or is this only on those with the Climate Pack ??

Bob.

DSCN3410.JPG

DSCN3411.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"Glow light" ?? My understanding is that the 4.2 six cylinder 1HD-FTE motor doesn't have glow plugs . . I haven't seen any on mine anyway.

Instead, there is a heater matrix upstream of the EGR valve which only activates in very cold weather.

Or is this only on those with the Climate Pack ??

Bob.

I think he might have the 1hz as he is posting from africa ... but we won't know for sure unless he posts again.

Back