Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nice looking 100 V8 with issues

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I've had this on my watch list for a while. I'm thinking it's a tad pricey as it is listed with a head gasket fault which it may have or maybe the result of the gas conversion if it doesn't have valve oiling? Only a pipe dream for me but it's got my interest. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262897117782

Looks like a five speeder so fit a complete good S/H known provenance non gas engine and a beauty could be had. I wouldn't go down the mending it route, a can of worms could be opened.

Yes, I thought that about the box but I thought the date was wrong but clearly I'm wrong. I did think it would be a can of worms. Surely £6000 is a bit steep given the work needed?

They have the year wrong, it's defintitely not a 2002 more like a 2004....

I don't quite get the commercial and business use bit. That to me means it was originally bought by a company and no VAT has been paid. In other words, it should be less money? Am I close?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Doesn't look good does it Flint. Be interesting to see what happens to it.

I think the commercial and business use bit is just them trying to dodge consumer rights like sold as seen. I would assume the heads are the problem not just gaskets. Think 80breaker had some heads on ebay very recently might still be on. Petrol models often get stuff early so 2002 is not too early for a 5 speed. Could also be an import - they got stuff even earlier. I think everything else would have to be aok to be worth that sort of money.

I agree, that is a bit pricey. Last year, when I was considering selling the 80 for a V8 100 I was looking at perfectly running examples of the same age for not much more than that.
"Head-Gas kit fault'? Does that mean a head gasket fault or a head with valve damage due to running on LPG? Either way a lot of work and expense if you can't DIY. JMO

The local toyota dealership has been turning around 'with 6 months warranty' trade in 100 v8's for not a lot more.

Head-Gas kit fault'? Does that mean a head gasket fault or a head with valve damage due to running on LPG?
I hadn't thought of that. Clever! You could be right, I had it down as a numpty typo!

wow! that,s expensive if it needs serious work. which it may do.

I went up to them when looking for a vehicle for a customer. Had a good look at their stock and chatted to a sales guy. Vehicles are "inspected by their mechanic", well he missed the leaking fuel pump and rear companion flange oil seal on one vehicle. I wasn't impressed at all, as far as I can see it's a buy 'em in - polish the exterior and sell on brigade. They say their trade only and when I asked why are the prices at retail he wandered off sharpish like.

Worth a sharp diversion in my view.

I think the commercial and business use bit is just them trying to dodge consumer rights like sold as seen. I would assume the heads are the problem not just gaskets. Think 80breaker had some heads on ebay very recently might still be on. Petrol models often get stuff early so 2002 is not too early for a 5 speed. Could also be an import - they got stuff even earlier. I think everything else would have to be aok to be worth that sort of money.

I'm not 100% with this but vat not paid and business use only would ring alarm bells for me , my thinking is a change of purpose might mean vat owing and you could be buying the bill !

Back