Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nice one Mercedes!!

And they don't look over-loaded either :lol: should have put on decent suspension then. Wonder who makes their shocks - can't be bilstein or khoni?

We put in place a group of very experienced Outback operators who have the expertise and logistical knowledge to cover off any eventuality.
Clearly not as they used standard suspension, or more likely they ignored them...

Over on the P3 forum there is a stiff debate going on, what exactly went wrong.

It seems stiff tyres with minimal sidewall and heavyfooted drivers went in search of the limits. This on a corrugated track.

All that motion energy had to be dissapated through the shocks, so they were the first to fail. The G is a heavy truck on its own and it uses a driveline which is built to last i.e. heavy as well.

Stick ballerina shoes on her feet and go for an outback trek and what happened should be classed as normal.

The G was originally designed as a millitary vehicle carrying small armed intervention units, with good old 7.5R16 or 235/85r16 tyres. An out of the box replacement for the LR defender. Sticking large gasoline engines and ballerina shoes on it never has made any sense at all.

If its built like a truck, then drive it like a truck!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its good that they are not pulling it from production, as its the only brand new and worthy SFA alternative to the 80. Leather, aircon, comfortable, reliable (if you use the right wheels and suspension), built like a tank, powerful, 3 difflocks... Well there is also the Patrol but I think Nissan have dropped SFA for the new ones and it hasn't got 3 difflocks.

I've got an 1986 GD300, use it as a local runabout on 235/85R16 continental ATR tyres and some bilstein shocks.

That's it, no mods, no frills, just straight out of the box with only minimal recovery gear.

Over the years it has never suffered major mechanical problems, still on the original engine after 650.000 km. The odo only registers 99.000 km and I stopped counting at 6.
I've grown to love this 90 hp 4x4 as the transfer case is fully synchronized and you can switch from L to H while on the move.

The fancy bling bling mercs are very costly and do not provide the same robust simplicity that the millitary versions do. They are simply a merc marketing ploy to keep the G alive.
Just face the facts, if everyone would keep their vehicle 25 years plus and they build em to last 25 years plus. They would surely be out of business.

The G pur or professional ie the 461 build are the "bulletproof" versions which get refined year after year with minimal changes.
The other versions are more civilian tryouts to keep the cash flowing.
Can't fault that though!

Just like Toy always has its basic models for the UN or other intercontinental agencies.
No frills, no bling, just basic get in and get there simplicity.

Back