Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

no door mirror heater

prav

I've had the LC100 V8 now for a few months and just recently noticed frost on the door mirrors,so thinking of putting on the heater which is normally connected to the rear window heater.after 10 minutes nothing except the rear screen has cleared with the door mirrors still frosted up. As this cruiser was imported I thought one switch did all .I then had to check with the dealer over the phone who suggest checking to see if there is wires on the rear of the door mirrors. yeah as though this is easy with a small torch and the mirror in a funny angle.so checking the sites and some console pics i located where the switch would normally be under the heater controls where you normally have four switches in a row. one should be the door mirror heater. In my case two have blanks one the rear air con and the other is rear heater. So I thought i would pull off the blanks covers and to my surprise the switches are intact and when pressed actually light up even on the ignition dash light green colour. So I checked the fuse box and noticed the relay missing but fuse intact ,swapping a relay this to another found when pressed it clicks on and off.
now nearly there guys.... the door mirror heaters dont get hot and i can't see if the wires are connected so my question is how can i tell without stripping the door mirror apart? also the seat heater dont have switches just blanks but the wiring loom is there does this have heater pads in the seats or this is cause its and jap spec and they have no winters they didn't connect these also......
thanks for any advice....

I'm not 100% sure but have you tried operating the heater switch whilst the wing mirror adjustment switch is set in the centre position between left and right, that might have something to do with it.

I thought the mirror heater switch was next to the positioning joystick? It is on the 120, so guessing here ...

You don't say what year your 100 series is but according to the wiring diagram that I have the rear defogger switch will operate the wing mirror heaters through their own relay and fuse so if it's not working and you've checked the fuses and relays the only thing left to check is the mirrors for the wiring and the diagram has a footnote indicating the wiring from the relay to the mirror heating element is European market spec. One quick way to check for the wiring and heating element may be to make sure the defogger switch is off, pull the fuse that is designated 15A Mir Htr and with the ignition off (and key out!), pull the relay marked Mir Htr and the relay marked Defog, set the multi meter to read Ohms, place one test lead to a good earth and then probe the Mir Htr relay terminal socket relevant to terminal 3 or 5 of the relay on the relay socket, note if you get a reading of a near (low resistance) closed circuit that would indicate your wiring is in tact and going through the mirror heating element to earth (hopefully). If you get no reading at all, only a further visual inspection will prove the existence of the mirror heating elements, careful removal of the black plastic inner trim my reveal wires that could be tested but only a visual behind the mirror glass will confirm that you have an element and I do not know how to remove the mirror glass, all the pictures I have show the mirror unit as a complete assembly.

thanks guys for the replies the car is 1999 t reg vx 4.7 v8 .i will try you suggestions but where can i find pins on the relays you mention steve 0...........

I've re read through your original post. The front heated seat switches are located on the console over the transmission near the gear levers. In the circuit diagrams for our 100's the rear window defogger switch is the one that also operates the heated mirrors, in fact the switch is labelled on the diagram as "mirror heater switch" but it is wired to provide a ground to both heated rear window and mirror relays so there doesn't seem to be a separate switch for each. If the wiring is in place physically checking the mirror for the heated element would be the next thing to do. Can you carefully remove the inside door trim triangle and see if there are any wires disconnected. If you have fitted the (tested known working) fuse and the mirror heater relay and you find any disconnected terminal blocks near the wing mirror you could always probe with a meter to ground set to look for 12v DC turn on the rear defogger switch (ignition switch needs to be on) and see if you get 12v. It would at least prove there's power ready to connect the heated mirror to. Then I would find out the cost and availability of the heated mirrors just in case I broke one whilst trying to uncouple the mirror glass from the wing mirror looking for the element. There should be a quite a few wires near the mirror, the pair you want are White/Black should be to ground Red/White is the heated mirror element supply (if this is not connected your mirrors probably don't have the element). If your mirrors retract then there will be 9 other wires for the various motors which control the mirror. Do not confuse the White/Black wire with the Black/White wire, the colours mentioned first are the predominant ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oooh dear I have just been into my car and I can see a separate switch for the heated wing mirrors :o ... I plead old age and the fact that my car has been out of use for nearly a year.....but then the circuit diagram is incorrect. The heated mirror switch is the left most switch of the bank of four. I presume the principles will be the same and that the switch just connects a ground to the heated mirror relay. Sorry for adding more confusion.

Hi Steve 0
thanks for all the help unfortunately I dont get home from work this week till 6pm and its dark and freezing ,therfore saturday morning I will have a look and hopefully trace the wires. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the help..... :) :) :) :) :) :)

Heated mirror will have 2 wires that feed to the rear of the glass. You can see these between the mirror glass and the housing shell approximately 1 inch from the top.
If you have the door trim off you can disconnect the mirror plug and count the wires that feed into it.
3 wires = electric mirror glass control
5 wires = above plus heated
7 wires = both of the above plus mirror retracting

Japan spec = Power Folding Mirror Function RHD
#001 COLD DISTRICT AREA VX MODEL (HEATER MIRROR)
#002 NORMAL GRADE VX MODEL
If you have 7 wires at your plug you will just need to purchase heated mirror glass and while your at you can opt for the rain clearing blue glass. $165US from memory
To remove the mirror glass tilt the glass up and back so you can get a screw driver access at the bottom of the glass.
Using a finger slightly make the gap at the bottom a little bigger so you can see the 2 locators where the glass clips to the plastic backing. Hold the glass and push the plastic backing with the screw driver. There is 2 clips at the bottom of the glass. Once they are released lift the glass up to release it from the hook it sits on at the top.

Hi T-Pot

Where is the id codes you mention on my car will this be on the VIN plate or somewhere else ? otherwise will have a look this week as i'm off.

Thanks

They are not ID codes they're just 2 different model mirrors for different spec levels. I thought this might help you with which Japanese Spec vehicle you have. Yours is most likely not optioned for cold climate.

Hi T Pot,

I have checked and I have 5 wires to the mirror yellow,black,red,green and blue. All I need to see if there is a heater attached to the back of the mirror which is near impossible unless you have tiny fingers,

Electric + Heated mirror (non folding type) the 5 wires go to pins 5,6,7,8 and 12
Electric mirror the 3 wires go to pins 6,7,8
My guess is yours are electric + folding type.
This changes my previous post.
Remove mirror glass... You need to pull at the bottom or push at the top of the mirror glass a bit. You will hear it click. At the bottom outside corner shine a torch in there to see and stick a screw driver or butter knife between the white and black plastic and push the white plastic away from the mirror. The black plastic is the back of the mirror glass and the white plastic is the electric mirror positioning in the housing. Do the same at the bottom inside corner. When these clips are released jiggle the mirror and push it up to release it from the hook it sits on at the top, then push the mirror glass back level in the mirror housing and lift the mirror glass up and out. If you have heated glass you will need to disconnect the wire connector to the back of the glass.

As you think I have no heated mirrors being only 5 wires do I gain anything then by removing the glass if the wires are not at the back? :think: :think: :think: :think:

Ok you have already installed the relay and dash button.
You could try and run wires from pins 5 and 12 thru the mirror gland and attach a new plug on the end of the wires.
You can find the plug connector and its part number in the toyota EWD for the vehicle. Ask to see the dealers.
I might be able to get the connector part number in a couple of days.
if not you could splice it but try to get it all oem if you can.
If you get this far i will have a look at mine and see wether wire from pin 5 goes to pin 1 or 2 in the mirror glass connector so you don't wire it up wrong. And the same with wire from pin 12.
Run those wires, attach new plug, and purchase some heater mirror glass and this might happen.

Back