Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

No heating

RichC4

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Driving in the cold recently I noticed the cabin heater had stopped working. It eventually started working again after a while, though the output is not great. Engine temps seem normal on the gauge, coolant level is as expected.

I had a poke around with a warm engine last weekend. The feed coolant hose is hot, both sides of the valve. Warm on the return. Valve control seems fine as I could see it move and the temperature was the same both sides.

I'm thinking this probably means blocked matrix? I had a look in my Hayne manual and it suggests I'll need to get the A/C degassed and remove the evaporator to change the matrix. Anyone done his and know what the score is?

If you have drained coolant , or have a leak , leave it ticking over with the heating on full and see if you can top up the rad some more .

Heater pipes are higher than the radiator so the system can seem full until you use the heater .

I need to change the radiator anyway, so I'll drain it down and see what I can see then I think.

Raise the front end while doing as Shayne says, you could also try 'burping' the hoses as your doing it to help expel air.

Before I started taking anything to bits I'd check the flow through the heater and heater valve with a hose pipe. If the rear heater is connected up you could always bring that into play to warm the cabin.
Taking a heater matrix out is an involved job although I've not done one on a Collie I did one on my 80, this is the degree to which you have to strip it down.
IMG_1854.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 21
Andy that picture looks like the aftermath of a very bad car crash

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep Steve it was a bit of a job, good thing I had a perfect matrix out of a scrapper they were very expensive new. Took me five nights to reassemble as you have to take the whole interior out to the back seats. Very satisfying though, having a heater which doesn't leak.

Well if mine starts leaking it's either a dog turd leak stop or if that don't work heated motor bike gear and a Russian rabbit hat

I tried the rear heater but I didn't get any warmth out of that either. Maybe that's also blocked or just not hooked up. New matrix is about £160 on roughtrax, so not terribly expensive.

Definitely going to try the hosepipe trick - that looks like a non trivial job there!

Fixed a customers Prado recently with exactly the same issue..... thermostat was stuck open....new genuine one from Roughtrax and job sorted .

Fixed a customers Prado recently with exactly the same issue..... thermostat was stuck open....new genuine one from Roughtrax and job sorted .
The radiator thermostat? I can have a look at that while I have the radiator off, it heats up quickly though which I wouldn't expect if that were an issue.

The wife would still be like "how long are you going to be??" or "is it going to be finished soon" despite the dash looking like that and a sea of parts in the driveway.

Started on this today. Radiator hoses have a coating of fine copper particles, I think this is normal but just to double check?

IMG_20220101_151416.jpg

I'd say more iron oxide than copper, but it looks normal to me.

Oh yes, that would make more sense since it's an iron block.

In other news, the thermostat is fine so it's not that causing issues.

Some of those pour in head fix solutions can be like that. Blocked instead ?

I haven't had a proper poke at the heater matrix yet as it got dark, that's for tomorrow.

Back