Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

no transmision AT ALL after L4

semilegal

Country Flag
united_states
I'm on my fourth LC (FJ40, FJ80, FJ100 and now FJ200) - this one has 68,000 mi.

I was on the side of a steep, slick slope, which I backed down in 4H ... 3 meters behind me was a worsening terrain change, so I dropped in to L4 to "crawl" out of it (LC in "N" first of course). When I put it in Drive and took my foot of the brake, NOTHING ... like I was in neutral. It started to slip backward fast so I hit the brake, put it in H4 and tried again ... still NOTHING at all. Now I've moved back about a meter and I'm getting nervous, so I put it in park and it makes a terrible grinding noise. I pull the e-brake and shut it down to contemplate my limited options. upon restart and a lot of fiddling around with the crawl and L4 it finally engages and pulls me out, very nicely, I might add - like a LC is supposed to do.

All my other LC's had a great way to get in to L4 and engage the differential, but this one is electronic, which I don't like at all (just like the AC I can't shut off bc it's electronic with the big TV screen - give my old LC 4WD system and dash; never failed me).

Anybody experience this problem or have suggestions before I take it to the dealer and get raped?

Attachments

• DSCF9913.JPG
    DSCF9913.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 145
I'm replying to this simply because I liked your description of the what must have been a very scary moment :shock:, just glad it got you out, eventually.

I'm no help at all, sadly lacking any knowledge of your truck, but one of the reasons I'm driving a 19 year old 80 series is because it's almost all mechanical and doesn't rely on auto anything. Its a manual G/Box, the lockers are electrically operated (I admit) and it's an HZJ (4.2 diesel with not even a turbo to go wrong) but anyway, you know the score from your FJ80 days...

You've got a very good looking and shiny truck though, and with the V8 auto it must be a dream .:clap:
Good luck with a fix...:thumbup:

Thank you Clive. My 80 was the ultimate in off road - love it. This one is good, but I wish it was available in the U.S. in a stick-shift diesel! I'm still a LC cult member, but they're getting too fancy for their own good (Toyota). Also, the look of the FJ200 is very non-distinct and plain. For that kind of money, it should not look like a Highlander on steroids.

Agreed, they've lost the plot for me, too much in the direction of Merc, Porsche, BMW and.... predominantly road bias with offroad capability, chasing the market of course, who can blame them, it's business after all.

Does it have drive at all on the flat? Frank might be on to something, it reminds of a problem a friend of a friend had in his comp G-wagon. With a different engine fitted it would not drive for some reason. The box was rebuilt, still no joy, long story short turns out the auto box was at an angle when fully fitted it the truck and when filled with oil it was over full due to the angle and would not drive, Or something along those lines.

Maybe it was the angle you were driving at? food for thought

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My model VDJ200, Australian model V8 diesel had the same issue, I was already in High 4wd lock when I decided to shift to Low 4. As I was on a downgrade with a large trailer, I had my foot on the brake. Lots of lights and buzzers going off warned me that I had entered transmission towing mode.. no drive, no park lock, just free-wheeling. Panic set in, I was well away from civilisation , no phone coverage
Much later I found the solution in the Ownership manual.. normally 8 separate steps to enter tow mode. I did it in 2 steps accidentally....

Attachments

• DSCN1128 devils marbles 6.jpg
    DSCN1128 devils marbles 6.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Back