Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy injector pump

567simons

Country Flag
great_britain
The pump on my 24v is making a rattle that is noticeable when driving particularly under light load and lowish revs. Pump was refurbed about 6 months ago. When I pump the primer on the filter housing the rattle disappears but comes back again after 5 or 10 seconds. Local old school knowledgeable chap is convinced there's air getting into the pump, probably from the feed side, what does anyone else think?

I would think if air is getting in the system from anywhere, it would struggle to start or run rough.
As your old school knowledgeable chap thinks it is sucking air from the feed side of the pump, yet alone anywhere else, I think you would have more symptoms across the board, apart from low load and light revs.
Let's see what others have to say.

Cheers tractionman, after I wrote the post the local denso engineer suggested the same as you, i.e. if there was air in it the symptoms would be as you described. His opinion was probably the governor, which is annoying because the pump was off for a refurb about 6 months ago. It's running like a dream otherwise.

Last edited:
Ok mate. As a Denso engineer has given his diagnosis, then you can't argue with that.
Yep, more than a PITA, so soon after refurb, but with a definitive answer, you will soon be back to normal. Will you have the Denso guy do the work ?

Before you take the pump off change the fuel filter.... sounds like cavitation in the pump that can be caused either by an air leak or a blocking filter .

The filter may not be blocked enough to cause any power loss .... much cheaper than taking the pump off .

Rule out the basics first.....run a fuel supply from a clean jerry straight to the pump....this will eliminate any air leak causing cavitation ... also remember there is a last chance gauze filter in the pump inlet itself..... since B7 happened loads of problems are caused by sludge in the fuel system. Also check the rubber hoses for perishing they can allow air in without fuel leaking out...

Your Denso man may well be correct but beware diagnosis by supposition or description ....... FIPs are normally reliable...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Grimbo. Will run it from a jerrycan before going any further. Having the pump off again is a last resort at this stage my gut instinct is cavitation too

Yeah clean fuel gravity fed to the pump from a container after cleaning the inlet gauze which is very fine. Good to know what happens?

Back