Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy pulley

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone,

Have had this for a while, it comes and goes but it's clearly getting worse and taking longer to clear. In the mornings it now takes 2 to 3 minutes to clear out and it's very unsettling, something is clearly not happy.

Thoughts and meditations around what is going on? The fact that it clears is amazing, surely the bearings don't need 'the right temperature ' or do they ? If I remove the belt and turn it by hand, I can't feel any real resistance or uneven pressure.

Soak the belt with wd-40 just to be sure its not that making the noise

Vid worked and i'd still bet it was the belt trying to climb off

Lubricating a belt is counter intuitive but wd-40 is water based and only lasts 5 minutes - encourages slip/wear/fit

Mine had a squeaky belt. Spraying it with some water made it quiet which confirmed it was the belt and not a pulley. New belt fixed it.

Can you use a long screwdriver or stethoscope to get a clue which unit is noisy? Might be worth turning the viscous heater (power heat) on and seeing it that makes any difference when the clutch is engaged. Does air con on/off make any difference?

If all the ancillaries seem ok, I think roughtrax sell the idler and tensioner pulleys

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It definitely feels like the pulley at the Aircon. I need to wait for the morning before I can try other things. Since the car has been running today, it no longer those those wired sounds.

The bearings go on the Aircon clutch. I changed mine a few years ago, my replacement was from Opi Oils which at the time was the best price. Easy ish to do, fortunately my gas had leaked out already so I didn't need to get it vaccumed

Back