Noisy tyres illegal to sell?

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
I asked Camskill if they could get me some Toyo Open Country MT's in the 285x75x18 size and this was their reply:

Im sorry we cant, They dont list the MT for the UK. Also when the new S marking on tyres (noise control) came into effect 1st of March, the MT did not meet the standard and is now Illegal to sell.

WTF?

Sounds very odd, might be time to stockpile some Simex!!

Ian

Illegal but not unlawful. More ways to control everything.

Jon - would you hear them over your new rorty exhaust? ;)

That doesn't sound like good news, most people seem to think the Toyo is a pretty quiet tyre
I wonder what they are going to do with all the tyres that don't have this new 'S' rating already in the supply chain?

This is bizarre - I presume it's a size-specific issue because you can buy the Toyo O/C MT in other sizes even on Camskill's own site :roll: There are even 18" Toyo MTs listed, just not your 35"s...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anybody had any luck finding any info on this new legislation?

I'm just surprised there hasn't been a big outcry about it if it's true

Paul at West Coast Offroad was telling me about 'clean oil tyres' as part of cleaning up the manufacturing process & tyres being in short (ish) supply as a result - he seemed to think it would bubble on for about a year before settling down but this noise thing is total hoop...

Somone lead the revolution ;-)

seems that my tyres fall under the commercial C3 category accoruding to this. It amazes me that there is no category for offroad vehicles! WTF?

Found this:

New Law to Limit Tyres Noise Gearing Up for Introduction
Reading: New Law to Limit Tyres Noise Gearing Up for IntroductionTweet This: Send Page to Twitter

By Denna Bowman

There are an estimated 2.5 million tyres left in the UK supply chain which will be illegal in two months time, according to industry insiders.

The new s-marking legislation aimed at reducing, noise levels from tyres, is set to come into force on 1st October, however, many suppliers are unclear about the details of the law.

Tyre manufacturers and auto makers are being bombarded with a raft of new regulations which are being introduced into the law by the European parliament.

However, the complex formal proceedings and general legal complexity have led to some confusion in the market place.

The s-marking legislation (regulation 2001/43) is the first major piece of legislation to be implemented. All tyres up to 185 section width must comply with the regulation which sets enhanced noise emission standards. Legislation for larger tyres will follow in 2010 and 2011.

This means that from 1st October these tyres must have an “S” stamped at the end of its seven digit code on the sidewall or else they will be illegal. There are an estimated 2.5 million con-compliant tyres still in the system according to the Tyre Wholesalers Group.

Customers who chose etyres, the UKs largest online tyre retailer, can be assured that all the tyres it supplies and fits are from the most recently manufactured stock.

This is because etyres only orders tyres once they have been purchased online or through the telephone sales team by the consumer. This ensures new stock fresh off the production line.

Other suppliers and garages are expected to be trying to run down their stock of tyres without the s-marking before the deadline.

from here:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/news/new-law-to ... -2905.html

Here's the legislation:

http://www.vca.gov.uk/additional/files/ ... cement.pdf

Yet another reason to get out of the EU - what a load of cr@p this is. Need to clamp down on go-louder exhausts first!! Oops - sorry, Jon :lol: :lol:

doesn't apply to us as no one used 185 tyres on a 4x4 tyre (unless you have some sort of weird spiked ice tyre maybe!)

pugwash said:
doesn't apply to us as no one used 185 tyres on a 4x4 tyre (unless you have some sort of weird spiked ice tyre maybe!)
I think that article dates from June last year and the bigger tyre restrictions are coming in now...

Gary Stockton said:
Legislation for larger tyres will follow in 2010 and 2011.

If this applies to MTs then it will not last as there are plenty of vehicles/companies that need these tyres for work purposes.

Rob said:
If this applies to MTs then it will not last as there are plenty of vehicles/copanies that need these tyres for work purposes.

This is just what I was thinking....

But seriously I mean my exhaust passes an MOT and that makes the windows rattle when I enter the street very calmly....
Imagine if I booted it... haha

Gary Stockton said:
Need to clamp down on go-louder exhausts first!! Oops - sorry, Jon :lol: :lol:
Yes and clamp down on the bloody fitters who say they won't be loud :evil: Going to have to start from scratch somewhere else on that one :evil:

Whats the game here Jon - the prospeed still too boisterous?

Gavlad said:

I'll go and post in my thread to save polluting this one even more ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Gavlad said:

I'll go and post in my thread to save polluting this one even more ;)

it can't be that bad...

maybe we should have a "who's truck is loudest" competition at a meet... :lol:

Back