Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Non starter

Welsh_YoungBlood

Hi guys. I've just had the head replaced on my petrol /gas landcruiser. But now it runs like a dream on gas, but won't run on petrol at all. Also have a check engine light on dash too. Thoughts please.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I would see if your getting fuel out of the injectors and work back. I expect the change over valve solenoid is not working.
Stu

Air in fuel lines? Petrol low in tank? Sorry, just starting with the simple things first that often get overlooked (such as not having my gear lever in Park when trying to start [emoji11])

Thanks guys, hi Dave. Stumog you was correct, it wasn't changing over.
Which leads me to another problem. Lumpy idle and refusal to go over 2000 rpm, hits 2k and drops back. Hits 2k and drops back. Only on petrol. Gas is still fine.

Ok scratch that. My change over switch is now back to front. Petrol is perfect. It's the LPG that has the problems. Durr

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Low on gas? Regulator diaphragm holed? Pipe not connected? Jubilee clip not done up? Know next to nothing about LPG systems I'm afraid.

Check all plugs that have been removed and refitted.

Does it have a sensor to say when it's OK to turn onto LPG something like a thermostat,I'm sure my shogun had a sensor to say manifold was warm then it switched over,make sure it's ok and make sure you haven't tripped the safety switch mine was at the side of the LPG tank,hope you get it sorted

I'm a bit sketchy on LPG, but if it runs fine on petrol but lumpy on the LPG check all the ignition components as LPG will highlight a weak ignition component way before it will effect running on petrol

I have run LPG cars but do not have a lot of experience with them, one thing I did find out though. The device that turns the liquid into a gas was heated by the hoses from the cars heater system, when the thermostat stuck open the engine run cold and like a bag of nails when on gas, OK on petrol as the injection system (V8 Range Rover) compensated for the cold engine.

regards

Dave

Well I'm unsure what happened but it's running on both now, with the exception of idling too low when cold, anybody know how to adjust that?

I have a couple of customers with LPG systems, PITA when working on them but, one in particular is a Mitsubishi/Hyundai Galloper 3000 V6. It starts automatically on petrol and switches to gas automatically, switch off and it repeats, looking at your cold running issue, is it running low idle on petrol and gas? Pretty much every problem we hear about gas is related to the cold so, perhaps it is worth getting someone who knows these systems to look it over for you?

regards

Dave

Which system are you using ?
ie make and type,mixer or injection?
just a quick thought there is an earth lead at the back of the inlet manifold near the bulkhead that often gets missed when doing head work.
Also check for vacuum leaks as pipes get missed off.
I have had a few lpg fz80 which I have fitted the system to, many faults I have come across are badly fitted kits.
One of my early fz80 (1993) had a very simple mixer kit fitted it covered 110000 miles towing and everyday use ,no flash lube and never missed a beat, no overheating . Used correct plugs and set mixture slightly rich.

Back