Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Non-starter...

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
Hi all, been a long time since I've been on here!

So... after getting it running just how I wanted it, work suddenly picked up and my truck has been standing for increasingly long periods of time.

I first noticed a problem when after a couple of weeks standing, I went to fire it up and heard the starter turnover more than once for the first time in my 5 years ownership! I then used it every day for a week and normal performance resumed.

Later, again, not having started it for a couple of weeks, this time it was half a dozen turns before the engine fired. Again, with every day use the problem would disappear.

Long story short, the problem has got progressively worse, until now, after a couple of months standing, it won't start at all! I flattened the batteries, so I took them out and reconditioned them, and they're both still strong.

Any ideas, before I flatten the batteries again? It seems like air is getting into the fuel system somewhere, but I've never had the injectors off, and I've only ever had the governor cover off the pump, so I can't think how that would have arisen....

I noticed there's some wet black residue around the intake manifold, so I may be losing a little turbo pressure, but otherwise, everything looks fine...

Sounds like the diesel is draining back. Havve you tried pumping the primer after its been stood a few days?

Bottle of fuel direct to the pump , if that cures it fit a non return valve in fuel line .

Thanks guys - I didn't know there was a primer as I've never needed it until now. Will let you know tomorrow!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine does this, albeit to a much smaller degree, if I park facing uphill on the drive, even gives a slight hesitation when hot unless a press the accelerator slightly. Never a problem on the level or facing downhill. I think it was Chris who fitted a non return valve in the fuel line just before the primer/lift pump which cured the problem.

I had the same problem on my 24v hdft. Engine cutting out when idling and nose up and not starting when sat overnight.
Engine started after priming.
Removed the acsd (automatic cold start device) from the injection pump and put an o-ring and blanking plate instead of the acsd.
Been fine ever since

Last edited:
Mine starts rough too when cold, but I believe it is because the ACSD has been removed.
Your problems sounds like said above.
I'd give the handprimer a few pumps untill it gets hard, probably it'll start much better.
Maybe an electric lift pump is a solution for you.
I have a small Facet electric lift pump next to my fuel filter. It really helps, when turning on the ignition I can hear it pumping loud (because there is air or fuel has gotten back in the feed line), after a couple of seconds it's dead silent when it pressurizes the filter and fuel pump.

OK, thanks for all the responses. Well, the primer did the trick - only to find I have no power steering :angry:. I'll look into a non-return valve, but I need my ACSD here in Sweden!

I also removed the ACSD as it was leaking. As you’re probably aware the mechanism advances the pump timing a few degrees in addition to opening the throttle slightly. I just use the hand throttle as a ‘choke’ and open the throttle a tad on cold starts and it starts as good as with the ACSD installed but removing the unit made no difference to the uphill starting issue. I actually repaired the ACSD but never bothered to refit it

OK, thanks for all the responses. Well, the primer did the trick - only to find I have no power steering :angry:. I'll look into a non-return valve, but I need my ACSD here in Sweden!

Glad to see you have the starting sorted.

Have you checked the fluid level for the power steering?

Good forum name!

Glad to see you have the starting sorted.

Have you checked the fluid level for the power steering?

Good forum name!

I think the power steering failure is most likely electrical but will test today.

Back