Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Non Toyota source for rear door sealing strip?

mr_magicfingers

Found that the rear edge of the carpet on my 2005 LC4 is damp. Pulled the weather seal back and it's wet and rusty under there. There's a a couple of splits in the weather seal so I'd like to replace it. Toyota want about £160 for it and I'm guessing there must be a cheaper alternative out there.

Plan is to get the seal then pull the carpet up, removed the seal and trim, dry it all out and treat the rust that's there before replacing it all. Though, as I'm away with work for 2 months in a couple of weeks, it's probably going to be a summer job.

IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_6592.jpeg

Found that the rear edge of the carpet on my 2005 LC4 is damp. Pulled the weather seal back and it's wet and rusty under there. There's a a couple of splits in the weather seal so I'd like to replace it. Toyota want about £160 for it and I'm guessing there must be a cheaper alternative out there.

Plan is to get the seal then pull the carpet up, removed the seal and trim, dry it all out and treat the rust that's there before replacing it all. Though, as I'm away with work for 2 months in a couple of weeks, it's probably going to be a summer job.

View attachment 164239 View attachment 164240
That looks horrible .

Don't be to disheartened with problems on your recent purchase Justin, at least you are addressing them straight away and all will be fine.
It's just a pita to have probs straight away
I have just acquired a 2006 lc3 and have had probs with that almost immediately, keys, batteries, and now I have to replace both bumper light metal housings, as one fell to bits on investigating why n/s was not fitting flush all of a sudden, and o/s was much the same when I poked it from the back. Hey Ho!

Yeah, the joys of buying older vehicles. There's bound to be things that need doing and I'll work my way through them. Everything seems fine mechanically and it's had regular annual servicing all the way through it's life up to now. Bodywork is always going to be the thing to need to keep on top of. I'm planning to have a full underbody rust treatment in the summer, not cheap but I'm planning to have this thing for a decade or so hopefully so amortising a hundred quid a year in preventative rust treatment seems worthwhile.

I'm hoping that rust under the rear seal doesn't go to far along the body and at least it's a relatively easy one to get at and treat myself.

From what you have exposed, it looks quite mild and easily treatable without crawling underneath.
Mine came with full Mr T history and mot, but history really is of no use without receipts to show what has been done. It just shows that Mr T looked at it regularly, and it does run well.
There are some notes by mechanic ad hoc, such as filters and oil, timing belt, but no injector work, which I will be looking into.
Rust in general seems an issue with 120s, when weather brightens up I have got to get under, blast and treat, hopefully no rot that I can see anywhere, blasting may prove different. Factory underseal has failed and missing in a lot of places, and I can get my fingers under edges and snap bits off it is so brittle, - hence the need for complete blasting and start again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For the trim try www:woolies-trim.co.uk The trim cross sections are shown in their online catalogue.

Sealsdirect is another good one. I couldn't remember name until you mentioned. Dealt with them on several occasions in past for different caravan seals, which were way lower than dealer prices.
Like the others, loads of profiles and were happy to send me short samples when it was not 100% sure if same.
The options mentioned will undoubtedly be cheaper than Mr T, who probably gets the stuff from suppliers like these.
Mr T sells the seals and give their part numbers as dedicated items to fit a certain purpose on a lc, whereas suppliers sell seals in general to fit anything, as long as profile/size same, hence a jacked up price from dealer and lower price from supplier.

Is it worth trying any 4WD wreckers to see if they have a 120 laying about?

Also worth having a look to see if water is just seeping around the top corners of the existing seal. I ran a bead of black silicone around the top edges of my seal (with the seal pulled away from the seam it sits on), and stopped the damp carpet. IME the bottom gets ragged fairly quickly if you are loading lots, but that's not where the water gets in, although water that does get in may well run down and gather there.

I think I'd rather go with a new seal than second hand, given the age of the vehicle.

Rob, thanks, I'll have to have a look and see if I can spot any other water ingress spots. Thanks for the tip.

Pulled the seal off yesterday to have a good look around. Cleaned up all the dirt etc around the seal and used a rag to clean out the seal grooves as well. The dirt only seems to be along the bottom of the door and when I lifted the carpet in the back, the dampness is only along the edge underneath, the underlay was dry so it's just creeping through the upper layer of the carpet. Looks like just that lower section of damaged seal letting the water in, I'm going to get a new seal, dry it out thoroughly and hopefully that will take care of that.

I pulled the side trim away and had a good look in the side pockets. The drivers side was bone dry and had dust and cobwebs which is a good sign. The other passenger side was dry where the jack is but in the next bit by the outer skin was a pocket with standing water. It's below where the door close sensor goes through and so I think it's that causing the leak into the panel. I've dried it out thoroughly with tissues and put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole which should stop water ingress until I can get a new switch.

None of this will be done until I'm home from my next work gig which will be a couple of months but I'll update with details then. Meantime, a few photos.

IMG_6608.jpeg
IMG_6609.jpeg
IMG_6611.jpeg
IMG_6610.jpeg
IMG_6612.jpeg

Just make sure its bone dry in there after mopping up Justin, use hair drier/ heat gun on low and if time give a good squirt of your preferred treatment to keep out any rust that may fester in any seams etc.
A bit of work there under the rubber, but I've seen and done worse. I would attack that with my mini angled die grinder + dremel due to small awkward area, or any other small too to prepare. Check water isn't coming up off the road/rear tyres through that floor seam there.
Good luck with work gigs!

Good advice, thanks. Given the current weather, I've just cleaned up as best I can for now. When I get round to doing it properly, I'll get the heat gun out and dry it all thoroughly. Planning to get it all rubbed down, rust treated, primered and top coated under neath everything.

Good stuff. The first time the MOT tester brought up, "light corrosion on underside" on my lj78, my nuts dropped. Having had rust bucket work vans previously I quickly got it on ramps, - not too bad. Over the next few weeks when I could steal time I jet washed, degreased, and used every tool I had to clean all of underside and components. I rust proofed it, painted and undersealed, even cleaning exhaust off and painting with VHT black stove paint. The next year I went, after a quick mild jet wash, ole misery guts said it looked like a new truck.
That's the way with this one, so it seems that's how several weeks of summer? will be spent by us both.

OK then, current state of play.

A seal from Toyota is about £160. I can get the same genuine seal shipped from the UAE for around £105.

only place that has anything similar is Seals Direct who have a rear door seal for a VW T5. It's not exactly the same but you can see how close it is in the photo. I'd need 5m of their seal strip which, with postage and vat would be £47. Half the price but it's not exactly the same and I'm wondering if it'll do the job suitably. Given the wish to keep this truck for a while I think it's probably best to just spend the extra £50 and know it's the correctly fitting seal.

Thoughts?

IMG_6660.jpeg

So close ! And what an outrageous price from toyota.
There is through here a toyota dealer contact, Simon Holten, I believe, who can get discounted parts.
I think it was Shayne who gave me details recently I will look up old post unless someone beats me to it.

Back