Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not going so good.

Kiera Wells

Country Flag
uk
Need help... away for the weekend with the Cruiser towing the caravan and the gearbox was all over the place on the flat ok but as soon as there 's a hill (not many around here you know) gearbox up and down like a whores draws on pay day outside the army camp.) power wise good cruising good just trying to leave the lights in low speed. Do I need a replace gearbox?

Eeek! - 1st thing I would do is check the box level when warm......if nice pink thats good. It could be overheating towing a big van? Did you get any auto box warning lights come on?

Absolutely with Steve here - check fluid level as per the procedure. But also when doing the up and downy bits, knock the overdrive button off. It gives the box less gears to choose from so it holds longer without trying to upshift. All that changing makes the ATF very hot and on a weekend like we're having with this super weather then cooling is at a premium.

I doubt you need a new box. Check engine coolant level too when you can.

ok I will its a 1993 auto been very good up until last weekend when it started not going right. I will check levels tomorrow now got to go out for food need big mac and shake.

I would have thought checking the levels was more important than a big mac !!!!!!!!!!

Im with kiera, the level checking can wait.. i just fancy two plain quarter pounders with cheese, a double cheese burger and six chicken nuggets with barbecue sauce..
them new york stacks are very nice too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What, no fries? You two need immediate treatment.

Sorry to hear about the auto box Kiera. First to check the warm level and if I were you I'd keep away from the plastic fake food! Home cooked healthy foods for me!:thumbup:

no no no banana shake, fries with a burger. oil I can do anytime.

Did anyone else notice how un-80series-friendly the MDs drive-through(s) are? They seem to have back to back 90degree turns that Noddy couldn't get his freggin car round. I know my local one definitely has insa turbo where the marker light used to be...

Did anyone else notice how un-80series-friendly the MDs drive-through(s) are? They seem to have back to back 90degree turns that Noddy couldn't get his freggin car round. I know my local one definitely has insa turbo where the marker light used to be...
Lol. Yes, ive thought it on many an occasion.

I havent had a Mac Do for 16 years! I do miss the breakfast thing though - Its a 30 min drive to the nearest one here, also Pizza restro, 30 mins etc etc - I just eat Duck breast and steak now :), hows the oil btw ?

if its the A442F check for corrosion in the round plug near the starter motor, if that's ok try replacing the TPS on the IP.

if its the A442F check for corrosion in the round plug near the starter motor, if that's ok try replacing the TPS on the IP.
Thanks for the help so what's TPS and what's a IP. apart from that I haven't a clue.

Throttle position sensor and injector pump. I'd really try the obvious and simple things like fluid level first before we get too far down the road.

But worth a visual on the TPS actuator cable. If you stand at the passenger side looking into the bonnet, about 2/3 of the way back from the front of the car you'll see the accelerator cable coming over the top of the engine. Follow that down and you'll see another metal quadrant with a cable that seems to disappear down into the bulkhead. This cable tells your gearbox some important stuff about what the engine is up to. On older 80's the inside of the cable sheath gets rusty and the cable won't slide in it any more. If you get hold of the quadrant and move it, it should snap back into place each time you let go. If it doesn't or in fact the cable is pulled out but whon't go back in then the thing is stuffed. There is no cure except a new one. Eventually it will snap. If it's like this, you'd be better to try and push it in and disconnect it so it doesn't get pulled out again. No biggie but it's a fiddly job to replace it.

The round plug SeaJay refers to is where the front and back wiring loom are joined together. They're usually pretty reliable but it's another avenue. It's a big cluster of wires and worth a wiggle after you have tried everything else.

Checked the oil level and topped up with ATF drove around and checked again level spot on. truck still all over the place. had a mechanic from work look at it and have a drive. Not good he said instead of messing around with this and than and the time its going to take change the gearbox and torque convertor job done. Sounds the best way to go now just got to source a replacement gearbox and torque convertor for my year 1993.

Hi, before you change the box there are so many things to do first. Like Chris said the cable, even changing the oil will make a difference. How do I know this? Owner of 3 Autos 94 year and nursed a broken box leaving Spain toured Morocco and made it back to Geneva. Secret was to change oil basically every 700kms...

The only reason really to change the box is if the bands are worn and it won't give drive. Swapping the box for any other fault is no guarantee that you'll fix it. Why swap the torque converter? If that was but you wouldn't move.

I'd also say unless you have driven the vehicle with the donor box in, you have no guarantee that it's going to be any good either. There's just far too many other things you can check first before you drop the bomb on an other box.

How did you check the fluid? With the engine running, yes? Being only 500ml short can be the difference between drive and no drive. How was the TPS cable? Dropping the fluid and checking the filter is an easy job. Might simply be blocked. I think Milner now actually sell replacements

Your call. We can only advise.

Only be told you need to change the convertor in case the box has a fault that has contaminated the convertor and to have the pair to save on labour in case its the convertor that is faulty no point doing the work twice and also wasting the oil at £8 a litre.

Back