Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not starting - leak doing something to electrics, or smith else?

oneafrikan

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hey folks,

Scratching my head here... I know I have a leaking sunroof but not sure it would cause this??
She won't start, this video is what happens (turn ignition ~18s into the video):
IMG_2743.mov - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

The day before (last week Sat) she was driving perfectly, purring like a kitten.
Then I had to park her on the road next to ours, because parking in our road is always scarce. The road is relatively flat, but slight angle on the passenger side.
Then there was a pretty heavy storm that Sat night.
And then the next morning I went to take a look at the leak to see if it was bad, and then tried to start her to move her back to our road, and no dice...

Leak ingress was pretty bad - the carpet on passenger side was sodden and definitely in need of a dry out...
So when I started poking around, it felt very wet.
Then after digging around, I found that there was a little puddle under the carpets, and it was deep enough to put the wiring loom into the water... In fairness, this feels like the worst I've seen it on that side.
After more digging, I've both cleaned up the water (it wasn't draining), as well as found more water in the wiring loom wraparound thingamajig, so cut that open and pulled the wires out to find them all soaked (for how far I don't know):
IMG_2744.mov - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
IMG_2745.mov - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Photos showing water - hard to see, but that puddle was about an inch deep. More photos attached.
IMG_2727.jpeg

So now I'm wondering whether the leak has done something to the electrics, which means she won't start....
Those wires should all be covered, so not sure if there is a join somewhere which is creating a short, or whether I'm just deluding myself, and it's the injectors (my old man called it!) and I've got an expensive weekend ahead of me...?

So far:
- I get power at the dashboard when the ignition is turned
- No fuses are blown [I checked the ignition ones] (these are the fuses under the ignition)
- She's cranking over, but not firing up

Has anyone seen this before?
Any quick things I can try which may eliminate some of the possible causes?
Or am I better calling for help?

Thanks!
Gareth

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2729.jpeg
    IMG_2729.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 11
Reading this thread front to back, sounds like it could be batteries?
80 series - starting issues - looking for suggestions - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

She started immediately on the Sat and started / stopped a number of times that day without a problem.
Then no start on the Sunday, so I think that's odd - doesn't really point to a battery problem? I would expect that to happen if she had been sitting for a while without being turned over?
I'm going to do voltage later to see what that shows...

SO, the water leak could be a red herring, and it's just timing?

Only time I've heard my 80 make that noise is while turning over with the fuel pump disconnected. You sure diesel is making it to the engine?

There's so much water in my cable channels you could keep fish there so I doubt the problem is with your loom.

Have you got plenty of fuel in it. Prime your filter using the plunger on top until it goes hard (oh er missus) . Then try starting it again. If that still doesn't work does it have a sigma alarm fitted. If so lock and unlock it several times on the button. I've had mine not de mobilize once.

@Rosy lol ;-) i’m not sure how the fuel pump would stop working after driving then parking it up - but I’ll RTM and see how to check it’s working. Thx. Thx on the loom too. A little bit of OCD in me freaked out!

@Gav missin yea plenty fuel. But i’ll try priming it. Immobiliser - there seems to have been one fitted before me, but i’ve not used it since i’ve owned it.

@essexpete now that i’ve take. The trimming off i’m seeing a bunch of wires that don’t look like they should be hanging about. Suspect they are from the immobiliser above. Think it’s worth looking at more?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a problem when the batteries had been disconnected for several days. The vehicle was effectively immobilised. Quick fix was to disconnected the batteries, turn on the ignition and then reconnect batteries. The immobiliser was tucked up underneath the dash behind the glove box. I wonder if yours has got wet?

Well that’s where the wires in question are. I’ll do that soon as the kids are asleep (as well as checking voltage).

we were priming his turbo with oil and didnt want the engine to fire up, sounds exactly the same as in the first video.

we were priming his turbo with oil and didnt want the engine to fire up, sounds exactly the same as in the first video.
Have you missed a bit out :blush:

@oneafrikan as nick said your video sounds exactly like mine did when we disconnected the fuel pump and turned the engine over. So I was suggesting it sounds like a lack of fuel problem.

if there's fuel in the tank and it's priming it may be the immobilizer which, correct me if I'm wrong, will just disconnect the fuel pump.

there are not many things that will stop a diesel 80 from starting.

flat batteries.
immobiliser .
fuel/air issue.
no 12 volt feed to fuel cut off solenoid.
fuel cut solenoid fuse blown.
the red 40 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box blown.

someone stole your engine..

Last edited:
as nick said your video sounds exactly like mine did when we disconnected the fuel pump and turned the engine over. So I was suggesting it sounds like a lack of fuel problem.

if there's fuel in the tank and it's priming it may be the immobilizer which, correct me if I'm wrong, will just disconnect the fuel pump.
Do you mean the fuel cut off solenoid on the injector pump?
There is no electric fuel pump.

My passenger footwell (and those cables) have been flooded several times in the past due to blocked sunroof drains but it's never caused any electrical issues. When I bought a spare key from Toyota, prior to having it coded in by the dealer, the car would do the same as your's is doing, cranking but not firing so my money is on an immobiliser issue although I can't see why there would be any wiring linked to it in the loom next to the passenger sill.

Thanks all - super helpful and much appreciated.

Quick update from me:

Last night I bit the bullet and called out AA to see if I could get some help - it's on insurance so I've paid for it somewhere else!

We are going away next week for Easter so time is ticking...

We did the following:
- primed/pumped the fuel thing
- checked batteries - seemed fine; we didn't take anything off the battery to "reset" immobiliser, just checked voltage
- checked power to the glow plugs after ignition key turned - yes

After that diagnosis from the technician was a "cold start" problem, and likely either a fuel delivery or glow plugs issue (since there was elec going to the glow plugs).
So he sprayed in some cold start spray from a can (can't remember the name), into the air intake, which I know some of you will disagree with, and she turned over straight away.
We let her idle for about 10 mins, then did start/stop a few times, and no problem.
I couldn't find parking in my road, so had to leave her there overnight.
This morning she fired up as normal no problem, and I've driven her to our road and parked near our house... she's back at proper idle and seems to be fine!

So OBVS I don't want to be carrying spray with me, or using that to start - seems next steps are to get the fuel delivery checked over, and glow plugs checked over, to see if anything can be found there!?

I think because there was power going to the glow plugs then that rules out wiring or immobiliser issues...?

The 2 land cruisers I have owned have started instantly without heat. Generally lack of combustion heat will lead to grey smoke emitted from the exhaust (unburnt fuel). I wonder if your fuel system had lost prime for some reason or you have an intermittent electrical fault?

not the shut off solenoid / immobiliser if spray got it going, so it must not be primed enough if it runs good once going.

Back