Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Now here's a funny thing .......

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
.... this morning, fiired her up as normal, no problems, drove 50 yards, lots of squealing and some smoke. Noticed the charging voltage on the dash meter was zero. Drove back 50 yards, switch the engine off, opened bonnet and witnessed the A/C belt sizzling on the A/C pulley where upon it broke. not the Alternator belt then ! Burned my fingers a bit confirming the A/C clutch had failed as the pulley was jammed solid. Left it to cool for a couple of hours, came back and thought well, I know what the problem is, but it will still run. Went to start the car ...... nothing, not even a click from the starter relay. checked the voltages on the batteries, disconnected so readings are true, and saw 12.57 on the passenger side and 12.53 on the drivers side. Batteries are nearly new, so aside from charge levels I think I can rule them out.

I will charge both as maybe 12.5 is a bit low but I'd have thought I'd get something off the starter with that, correct ?

I am struggling to make the connection ('scuse the pun) between the AC failure and the no start problem. Anyone any ideas ?

This happened to me last year. The belt was turning on the seized A/C pulley with the A/C running in the truck however when i turned it off this stopped and the smell went away. Ultimately the unit had to be replaced to get over this issue.

So, I cured the no start problem. checked the fusible links and they were OK, It appears the catastrophic failure of the AC clutch caused the "gauge" fuse in the drivers footwell block to blow. that stopped all the usual pre-start warning lights from displaying on the dash as well as the charge meter, though door lights warnings etc did work. it's only 7.5A but big impact if it blows.

As for the AC clutch, that's fubar'd....... wire and ball bearings all over the place ......

5989358A-16B2-49BC-B71C-A5569A55CD57.jpeg

Darn it same as what happened to mine. TBH i didn't even open it as I was told its non repairable and thankfully sourced a good second hand unit.

that's good, €447 fro euro4x4parts

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back