Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Now it's the windscreen

foobar

Country Flag
uk
It never rains but it pours. On my way home last night a Defender kicked up a stone (must have been a big one) and hit the top right corner of the windscreen, also chipped a bit of paint off the roof. It was a fairly big whack and scared the life out of me.

In the sun this morning it's now cracked a further 8 inches down toward the middle of the screen :( Does anyone have a rough idea of how much an OEM and non-OEM replacement will be, and who can reliably do the work in the South East? I'd like to keep the auto wiper function if possible.

Thanks, again.
Steve.

I've had a quote of £235 + VAT which includes fitting, they knew already it had a rain sensor and sunstrip and that there is rivetting involved so it sounds like they've done one of these before. Good.

I rang my insurance company, the RAC. If I go through the insurance but choose my own company it'll still cost me £125, plus my renewals will go up. It's not even worth going through the insurance, windscreen cover is a con since it affects one's premium!

Why your own company, Just use the company the insurance advise, its usually £75 excess and wont loose out on next years premium

Why your own company, Just use the company the insurance advise, its usually £75 excess and wont loose out on next years premium
I did that once…
Don't know what I would do again. Probably buy and fit myself if truth be known. However I think we are talking of a bonded in screen here, so, in actual fact it's probably going to be OK to use the insurer's fitter which will probably be Auto Windscreens or Autoglass. The problems I've encountered are with my 80 with the screen being non bonded. Never had a problem with them before the 80 then they made up for it in spades.

I spoke to the insurance company, it's a £60 excess but will count as a claim and will affect my renewal somehow, although of course they can't say by how much.

I can't remember the name of the company the insurance company use but it wasn't either of the above, but another big windscreen company. I'll be using a local company who were already aware of the rain sensor, sunstrip and riveting involved, so that gives me some confidence. I just don't want to end up with a leaking screen just in time for winter.

Talking of which, winter seems to be arriving fast, had to put the heating on rather than the AC for the first time this year, this morning.

Good luck with the new screen, it sounds complicated.

It rained here last night and today foobar, second time this month, glad of it tbh.

There's been next to no rain since June.

Temps fell on Sunday night from 32 to 17 degrees today, because of the rain.

Autumn is on its way...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had ours done recently, think it was Autoglass. First fitter was a bit out of his depth but it was down as a 2 man job and a second one turned up and he knew what he was doing. Their kit included rivets. Seeing the way the bonding works I don't think you need worry about the screen itself leaking. Problems with leaks would be from the riveted on trims not being sealed properly which should be less traumatic to resolve than the screen leaking.

I would make sure you replace the clear sticky pad on the rain sensor when you replace the windscreen.
I have just put one on mine after 5 years of cursing the auto wipers every time it rained - it's now fantastic - although the small sticky pad cost about £14 !! from the stealer.
cheers
Chris

Back