Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

O2 and MAF sensors.

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I have read that if i change the above items, my fuel economy will come down, has anybody else heard this or tried it.

I know where the MAF is located, but not the O2, help would be ok.

I have since read that my 105 series, or 100 series loosely based on the 80 series 4.5, makes sense to me, does not have an 02 sensor, thats probably why i cant find it, c an anybody tell me if this right. Im told the didnt put it in my series but opted for the CAS. For the life of me cannot understand why they use the same engine in the 80 but change the balance in the 100 and then call it a 105 series, can anybody make sense of what im trying to say.

I am trying to get the fuel use down, as its way more than the Merc, and they have a similar kerb weight. The MAF sensor may help, but how do you regulate the air flow to get a better burn and better economy. In Oz there is something called a Hiclone, which either works, or doesnt, depending on who you believe, there ia talk a Snorkel helps, again depends on who you listen to, then its tyres etc, etc, etc. Any ideas guys.

Post up your MPG and others like @Gary820 should be able to give you some idea if it’s correct for that engine in the 80 series. I’m not sure that changing any component is going to improve matters unless it’s faulty, then of course it probably will. Is your air filter clean and to spec, I.e a Toyota one?

No thats not the question, dont mean to be rude, but does my 105 come 100 series come 80 series have an O2 sensor. The 80 series does, but i am told the 105 come 100 series doesnt, this does make a big difference when it comes to gauging fuel economy. It matters not what i am getting now as at the moment all i am doing is running grandkids around Canberra because its the start of O week at the ANU. Since i filled the truck up on Wednesday lunchtime i have done just over 300 klm and used a half tank, i am keeping the sub in reserve. I know they are very short trips, maybe 40 minutes round trip and about 30klm each trip, when i got this truck this is not what i had intended.

Sorry mike, I thought you were interested in getting fuel usage down. I thought establishing whether or not it was overly high in comparison to others might help as a start point to perhaps save you changing parts that maybe functioning as they should.
I cannot help any further on this one so wish you luck with it.

Aus spec 105 1fzfe doesn't have O2 sensor and won't have cat converters. Iirc the 80 is the same over there.

@Scott has a 105 he brought back to the UK and came across this.

Your emmisions specs are quite different and like our older pre cat vehicles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No O2 sensor listed on ToyoDIY, and that's then why Eziautoparts.com.au and Fuelmiser don't list one...

Because there is no O2 sensor it will use a bit more fuel (about 10 -20% based on my experience of running without one in my 4Runner) - so 14L/100km as opposed to 11/100km.

Aus spec 105 1fzfe doesn't have O2 sensor and won't have cat converters. Iirc the 80 is the same over there.

@Scott has a 105 he brought back to the UK and came across this.

Your emmisions specs are quite different and like our older pre cat vehicles.
As Gary has rightly said, my Oz spec 105 has no O2 sensor or cats. The Oz market at that time must have had lower emmison requirements for new vehicles, you can understand it as emmison electronics adds more to go wrong.

The 105 comes from Toyotas rugged side of the range, which is meant for remote use in harsh terrain or poorly supplied areas of the world by NGOs and mines, so the vehicles were ruggedised to cope, both body and running gear. Things are kept simple so that the vehicle is more likely to cope with the harsh environment, rough treatment, poor fuels, and bush repairs.

Depending on the Merc you had engine wise it's not always a good comparison. The 1fzfe is a brilliant engine but it's not what you'd call refined with its fuelling,

Having compared not far off side by side the 80 and the 105 there's a few differences too. Ignition system is different, intake is different, management system is no doubt different.

My emissions is really clean and has no issues with the emissions test, obviously burns all the fuel etc and imo isn't that bad on fuel.

By more modern standards of similar sized engines it's horrendous, a X5M with more then twice the power, 4.4L twin turbo and similar weight is better on fuel.

Whow thats shocked me, i wasnt aware there were no cats or O2 sensor, i am surprised it passed Oz standards as they are pretty tight, i tried to tell my son, who is the motor trade they didnt have one, he said bollocks, they have to have. Now this will explain why my fuel use is so high, i am getting roughly 350 Klm per 60 L of fuel around Canberra. I dont normally do this amount of driving, but at the moment i have grandkids staying with me and they need taking to school etc.

That's 16.48 mpg, mine gets 13-16 mpg and the emissions are near perfect so it is running well.

17/100 is about right - our 4Runner does 14-15/100km around town with a 3.0 engine and about 500kg lighter. On a highway run we get to 11/100km, and towing we run at around 14/100km.

Based on that experience, I'd say that you'll look at around the 17/100km for towing - the engine is relatively low stress and will just tick along.

hi i have had a 105 for about 10 years its in excellent condition and low km as its basically a tow vehicle. i find it to big and thirsty for normal highway or city use. when towing 2.5 ton caravan i average 4.1 km per litre of fuel over trips of a thousand km. running around town and country travel with no load it gives 6 km. i have had several large 4wd including nissan toyota ford 150 and bronco, jeep and mitsi they are all extremely thirsty.

Thanks for that guys, by the way my Merc had the 5.o V8 engine, it too was thirsty, but not like this. When towing the dragcar we would get between 17 and 19 and thats on the flats. I also found NOT using cruise saved money.

Back