Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Obligatory first snow of the winter photo

Yep cheers, keep me in the loop - her indoors is near needing two new on the back, going to Blackpool next week, wondering whether to winter up now or run them off.

Jonnyboy - an update for you on the Galaxy with winter tyres.

Snowed for a few hours this evening - a covering over the drive and the road outside. Took the opportunity to try out the winter tyres on the wife's Galaxy, comparing it to an 80. I'm impressed. My 80 with MTs (marked with M+S and the mountain symbol) slipped up the steepest bit of the drive (no drama, no diff locks) but definite slipping on the snow. The Galaxy was completely surefooted, only made it slip by hitting the brakes hard coming back down on the snow.

Wife was also chuffed - she was driving back when it started snowing - when this has happened in years gone by and she's worried she may not even make it up the hill to our house. Today she didn't notice any slipping at all.

For reference, we've got 4 x Michelin Alpin A4s on the galaxy. Vs Mastercraft Courser MTs on the 80.

Given the difference winters seem to make on snow may look into some better winter tyres for one or other of the 80s.

Interested in what others find give good performance on snow.

No surprise there. The MTs, although snowflake rated, will still be more compromised in those conditions than full on winter tyres.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Piers, my good chap. I hope you aren't getting the silver Cruiser wet!!, its not seen wet weather for about 6 years :lol:

Andy

Snow pelting down in Edinburgh right now - not laying yet but hopefully we'll have a white Christmas :)

Snow pelting down in Edinburgh right now - not laying yet but hopefully we'll have a white Christmas :)

Hey! I'm envious! We almost always get a white Christmas, but this year is exceptionally warm. It was 10 C today (dropping to -3/4C at night) but no sign of snow whatsoever.

Where's the obligatory photos of all this Edinburgh snow then? :lol:

You'd need a better photographer than me!

Stopped now and back to icy rain :(

Well, the bit of snow we had at the end of November soon went and it's been like springtime ever since.

Christmas came and went with nothing and the only remains of the November snow have been preserved on the ski slopes at Azuga, where my 5 yr old daughter Ana has been learning (very quickly!) to ski.

As an example, last weekend was like this...

DSCN3201.JPG

Next-door's cockerel...

DSCN3217.JPG

And I heard a familiar rattling in the walnut tree...

DSCN3200.JPG

and managed to snap our friendly woody woodpecker.....

DSCN3209.JPG

Anyway, the forecasters promised snow on Friday and sure enough, as we drove up to the house last night, there were some flakes as we parked up at about 11:30pm.

This morning, ...

DSCN3296.JPG

DSCN3298.JPG
DSCN3305.JPG

Here at last :dance:

It's snowed all day, and of course the skiing was great!

DSCN3309.JPG

The little one enjoyed,

DSCN3317.JPG

The wife enjoyed...

DSCN3320.JPG

and I enjoyed!

DSCN3364.JPG

The ride home was very scenic...

DSCN3359.JPG

DSCN3357.JPG

And it's still growing on the balcony rail!

SNOWphoto.JPG

There's plenty more photos, if anyone's interested... :icon-rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:
A nice dump if snow
Enjoy

Strange winter here in Scotland. The west coast ski centres have more snow than in 2010, but my nearest centre in East is closed as not enough snow - it is the lowest resort.
Snow line is about 600m so at car park level for the other 2 ski resorts on my side of scotland (east)
But its been windy many days closing the lifts

Much more mountain snow due next few days

Most people in citys in scotland wont even be aware the higher hills are plastered in snow

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Andy,

Most of Romania is on a Yellow or orange alert this weekend, there's a list of roads as long as your arm that are closed.

I spent an hour this afternoon switching the AT's for the BFG Mud's, just in case!

Also pulled the Maxitaxi (local bus) up the hill tonight, he simply wasn't going anywhere sensible without assistance! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm envious Clive, all we are getting here in Ireland in rain, rain a bit of wind and more rain!

WARNING!!!

Ignore this post if you're bored with snow pics

DSCN3353.JPG

DSCN3354.JPG

DSCN3355.JPG

DSCN3356.JPG

DSCN3357.JPG

DSCN3358.JPG

DSCN3359.JPG

DSCN3360.JPG

DSCN3362.JPG

DSCN3366.JPG

DSCN3367.JPG

DSCN3392.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3361.JPG
    DSCN3361.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3368.JPG
    DSCN3368.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 148
Suppose I could take some mud pics and post them Clive, but I think they are a bit too depressing!

Suppose I :?could take some mud pics and post them Clive, but I think they are a bit too depressing!

Mud's great in an 80! :lol:

When there was no snow, it was dry here :|

Ok I'll admit to that!!

Its depressing when your walking through it while getting rained on though!!

Totally off topic, but I meant to ask you this before for future reference, on the transfagarasan road (DN67c), when you get to the dam and the road crosses over the dam turning to the right, where does the other track/road that goes straight on bring you?

Ok Clive - you win ;)

Looks stunning - we had gale-force sleet here most of today - I gave up trying to do a rear diff oil-change :)

Enjoy the skiing - take care!

Back