Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Odd misfire like behaviour

RichC4

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I'm having an intermittent misfire like condition (except its a diesel, 1kzte) only when the engine has been running continously for a couple of hours. When the revs drop to idle it will run badly and blow smoke from the exhaust like fuel is being thrown into the exhaust. Turning the ignition off and back on again clears the problem and it will run normally then for another couple of hours.

Is this likely to be an injector fault? The ecu?
I'm thinking I should get a techstream cable and have a poke.

Not sure on the intermittent issues but thought all 1KZTE engines only had the shorting pin diagnostics socket in the engine bay not one you can plug a tech stream into?

Air in your fuel , happened to me after i removed the fuel tank to paint it . Fially solved at a campsite in Germany with Starcruiser jamming his air compresser hose into the fuel filler cap with a plastic bag , while fbnss pumped like mad on the primer , while i was under the truck ready to get a diesel shower refitting the fuel return hose while it was flowing .

How does the air get trapped? Surely it should get pumped out eventually? Also where does it trap air?

Your truck is essentially self priming but when an air bubble gets in the "self" fails . I guess it would eventually find its way out but the problem persisted for me a few thousand miles just randomly losing power like misfiring mid overtake !

Leaks in fuel lines , primer housing and tank take off often don't leak fuel out but rather let air in which makes them a bugger to find .

Another possibility is crap in your tank blocking the fuel sock or water in fuel .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've not had it happen while under power, it only happens at idle (usually just after pulling off the motorway when stopping at the junction).

I should probably check the fuel filter at least.

Oh right thats different then , did you blank the egr or might it be clogged up with crap ?

The engine has just been rebuilt so almost certainly not clogged.

Back