Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Odd shimmy at 40mph when on the brakes... help.

Yes I was thinking the mud would get trapped and grind the pads down, not that the hole itself would cut in to the pad. Some drilled discs have radiused hole edges BTW.

I agree that any help you can give the 80 when stopping helps, in particular if you are an 'enthusiastic' driver like myself, or the Chris's and Ryan's out there that have gone large on the wheels, plus any additional weight from bumpers etc. Of note, I did have vented and cross drilled discs all round on the Discovery, it was a pain in the arse when the mud filled holes started to dry out, and the little stones started screeching as they made their way out of the holes. Given this experience, I went for 'dimpled' and slotted versions for the 80, and have I managed to overheat them and experience fade.......er yes, afraid so! :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Well looks like my home work is lined up for the weekend. I had a chat with the guys at big red brakes ( http://www.biggred.co.uk), thanks for the suggestion Shayne, and turns out he does a service kit for 80's including all new Pistons, seals etc... Set for the front was £65 and rears £25. I thought that was pretty good.
2e35176d6d8b445fee8307dddd4ac91b.jpg

I have decided to give the EBC Yellow stuff pads a go too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got EBC yellow stuff on mine and they are pretty good. Can't be more scientific than that but they are on standard 31" boots.

And are you going to change the disc positions, or even change them altogether or take a chance they stay true?

regards

Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm going to swap them over. The fact that they are less than 0.002" out I think it's worth holding onto them for now. If after all of this the issue still persists then I'll look at replacing them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did you ask for a quote for rebuild Ryan my thinking was if it comes with even a 6 month guarantee time and grief saved might allow for a competitively priced service but i have never actually asked them .

Hey Shayne,
They do refurbed calipers for about £100 each for the fronts. There is no reason I can't rebuild them myself, I have the tools, space and know how. I probably should have replaced the Pistons the last time as they were a bit rusty. But hey ho you live and you learn...

Ok thanks i have just been toying with the idea of sending them 4 and getting 4 back painted and good , quick and easy if you like .

Well folks, the shimmy is gone!

I rebuilt all four calipers today, there were a few Pistons on the front that seemed pretty stiff, same on the rear. So all serviced with new seals, boots and Pistons. The 80 brakes like a beast now. Quite shocking the difference if I'm honest. Not sure how much of that is down to the yellow EBC pads but now I can lock up those 37's without much fuss. Before today I couldn't get anywhere near locking them up.

I also ended up servicing the knuckles, the axle seal was letting by and had subsequently washed out the grease from the DS CV so I figured while I was switching the front discs around I may as well replace the axle seals and put the new RCV axles I have in.

I also fitted the Fnb hand brake kit, another night and day difference.

I'm still a bit confused about how the brakes were causing the shimmy, despite no feedback through the pedal. I guess there was some sort of dynamic going on that I didn't and still don't understand.

Anyway, on the drive home from the workshop I couldn't for love nor money get it to do the shimmy.

Thanks for the help guys.

Glad that you've managed to resolve the steering shimmy without too much hassle and if anything, improved your brakes whilst your at it! :thumbup:

Back