Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Odd vibration.

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hey guys,

My 80 has developed an odd vibration. It is most noticeable when the motor is under load. If I back off the pedal and coast it near enough disappears but I think I can still feel a very faint vibration through the steering wheel.

I have checked all the tyres. I found the front PS wheel bearing to have quite a bit of play and that tyre seems to be quite badly scrubbed on the shoulder. I have sorted the wheel bearing out and have rotated the tyres as well as have had them rebalanced. So now the scrubbed tyre is on the spare. So that eliminates that as a cause.

Now I still have that vibration. It's most noticeable when accelerating.

I thought it might be a misfire but I have recently changed all the plugs and they all looked good. No sign of a wet or fouled plug. The motor revs out fine with no load.

Any ideas?

He's had the wheels rebalanced so unlikely to be a missing balance weight. If it was wheel related I'd expect the vibes to be speed related rather then power on/off. The fact it almost disappears on overrun says props haft or UJ related IMO.

Props.

push them up and down and twist etc whilst on the truck. If you find nothing take them off to see if the joints have gone tight anywhere.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like karl says, jusy take off the props and check the joints are free and smooth in all directions.

Mick

I found the problem. The universal joint on the t-case side of the front propshaft is fubar'd.
azyvy2u6.jpg

It seems while it was destroying itself it took a little chip out of the yolk ( I think that's the right term).
3yba3ezu.jpg

So new universal joints and bearings it is, but what do you guys think about the chip. Anything to worry about?

Also does anyone have experience with Milner u-joints? At £12 a piece they seem like a bargain. Or is this a better stay Toyota part?

Well it depends what they have in Ryan. The joints themselves are fine in my experience but generally the grease nipple is inaccessible once assembled. It's tricky enough latching on to a decent nipple when lying under the old girl, but the Milner ones don't have the sticky out ones that make it nice and easy. I believe Roughtrax do them? But Milner may have changed their stock since then. I told them years ago.

That looks like a poorly maintained joint there young chap. 2/10 must try harder.

Good Lord, so they do Joe. My that's a handy thing to know. Well done that man.

That's not the yoke with a bit missing it's part of the UJ, the seal that helps keep the grease in and the muck out. The Milner UJ's I used years ago were rubbish, lasted about 5 minutes, don't know what they're like now.

Last edited:
If I were in any doubt I would go for quality. A, it's a twat of a job changing them, B if they go when you are driving, you are in deep doo doo.

Liek I said, I didn't have a problem with them. But with much of Milner stuff, to a degree it's what they can get their hands on at the time. One minute it's all Koyo bearings, the next it's errm ..... But stuff made in Japan is typically pretty good.

2/10 must try harder.
Well that brings back a good few school memories...

I have been pretty slack in the maint dept so I can't complain too much I guess.

Toy parts it is.

Now next question. What's the best/ easiest way to get these bastards apart? I watched a youtube clip or two but it would seem my hammer is quite buff enough. I tried the press but the angle doesn't help things.

That's not the yoke with a bit missing it's part of the UJ, the seal that helps keep the grease in and the muck out. The Milner UJ's I used years ago were rubbish, lasted about 5 minutes, don't know what they're like now.

Good to know. I was worried I had damaged the part that takes cap of the UJ.

Have you removed the snap rings? I use a lump hammer, drift, socket and solid surface, bash one of the cups through far enough that the opposite one comes out or nearly comes out and help it on its way with mole grips, then reverse and bash it back the other way to knock the other side out. Do the yoke / removable part cups first. When it's in bits give where the snap rings go on the prop a really good clean to make reassembly easier. When you put the new UJ in, watch for the needle bearings becoming dislodged inside a cup as you bash away. If you can't get a cup on far enough chances are a needle bearing is out of place and blocking it, take it apart and check. When you get to the heady heights of refitting the snap rings make really sure they are fully seated all the way round in the grooves, all of them, or it'll come apart in use which can be quite a bad thing if it happens suddenly ...

Grease every 4500 miles according to the manual. Make sure grease oozes out of all 4 corners, not just 3. No point in buying parts without the correct grease nipples.

All the above Ryan, to maintain them properly, don't take any shortcuts... :thumbup:

Back