OEM 16" wheels - spot the difference

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Rummaging in my garage I noticed something that was a bit of a surprise on one of my spare OEM 16" wheels, so I compared it to some others:

IMAG0560.jpg

the one on the left is how I thought all the 16" OEM wheels are made - very shallow almost none existent recess between the mounting holes but as you can see the one on the right has a deep recess that's the same as found on 18" OEM wheels ... A quick check and I have 6 like the one on the left and 4 like the one on the right :think: It only matters if you like to play with spacers thinner than 30mm which means the wheel studs stick out past the spacer and need a recess in the wheel. I use 20mm spacers with my 18's, might give them a try with the recessed 16's now to stop them rubbing :) (I've checked they do fit, just need the right tyres on the right wheels :roll: )

Anyone else got recessed 16" wheels? I shall have to look out for at least one more if I do use the spacers so the spare could be used without removing the spacer.

I suspect they were made by different suppliers, it's in Toyota's interests to have 2 suppliers of the same part so they always get competitive prices. You can clearly see the feed points on the some of the spokes on the wheel on the right. This to me says different toolmakers. Another possibility is that the tool needed to be replaced and was made differently the second time?

My guess was that when they designed the 18's they took as much weight out of them as possible by recessing those areas and then added that refinement to the 16's. This part of both 16" and 18" wheels looks to be the same. Or it might be what you say Rob :)

Back