OEM immobiliser

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
According to the owners manual that came with my 1997 80 it has an immobiliser fitted and the keys have transponders in them. I'm trying to work out if that's really the case or just wishful thinking. I've got some key blanks so if I can find somewhere to cut one I can test whether or not the immobiliser works but in the mean time I wanted to see if any other 80 owners know something about this? It may be a later 24 valve or Amazon thing?

Something that backs up the idea this truck has an immobiliser is that instead of having a simple single wire fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump it has what I can best describe as a black box with 3 wires instead.

Ring any bells with anyone?

This probably doesn't help, but my '93 and '94 12valves both have non-electronic keys and a panel on the centre console that says "security" with a flashing light that blinks when armed / doors are centrally locked from the drivers side. I assumed this was the OEM immobiliser.
Just confirms it's different to the newer ones I guess..

I have a blinking light in the dash that is active when you'd expect the immobiliser to be working but it could be just a flashing light! When I get chance I'll trace the wires back to see what it's connected to.

I had this problem when I bought my '98 LC80 in '06. It came with only one key and no alarm fob. It has the TVSS 3B alarm which is totally seperate to the factory immobilser. Your '97 80 will probably have a transponder-in-key immobiliser system as mine does. After much searching around for a cheap source of spare keys this is what I found.
You will need the master key to program up new 'blanks' which you will have to order from a Toyota dealer as I had to do. Luckily the key I had was the master. I had to order a spare (£50) from the dealer with the VIN number. When they came to program it up the ECU wouldn't take it as it already had 4 keys (maximum number allowed) assigned to it. This meant they had to wipe the ECU completely and re-program which, according to the dealer, carries a risk of rendering the ECU useless which would mean a complete ECU/key & lockset change at great cost. Fortunately all went OK. If you try and start the engine with a 'blank' key it will crank but not fire, at least that's what mine did.

Thanks for that Towpack, very useful and sounds about right, I have 2 keys but no alarm fobs even though the book says it should also have the alarm but no sign of a siren anywhere. Armed with your information I will see what my local dealer can do in the way of an extra key to see if one of mine is a master. The idea of getting a blank cut was just to test the immobiliser is working :)

Do you also have the flashing light in the dash? Mine seems to start flashing a short time after the key has been turned all the way off and stops flashing as soon as the key is turned to the first position, which makes sense but is that about the same as yours?

Hi Jon

Are both your keys original? I thought you had a DIY random one which fitted the locks but did not have a transponder?

Do you have an alarm?

If you think you have a transpoder in one of the keys could you wrap one in foil and earth it to stop the radio waves getting through and then try and start the engine?

I have a slot in my lower drivers dash panel with a flashing light. There is a black key and a red one. I don't use them. God knows what they do; and even he's not sure but you could call and look if they are the same as yours.

Remember to keep all the smoke inside the wires. It makes a terrible mess when it gets out.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think that odd ball second key is like that because it has a transponder in the top. I'm assuming the original snapped, something I've seen before, and someone has cut the remains down to fit in that 2nd key housing. It looks like it could be taken apart and I may investigate that shortly. I'd thought of the silver foil trick and will try it but I've not found modern foil to be very good at blocking radio waves. If it doesn't work I'll try wrapping it in some solder I have that has plenty of lead in it :)

Some sort of small metal can with a key slot for the blade to stick out might. Do you know the maker of the original/aftermarket setup?

Frank

Silver foil doesn't work, still starts. Looking more closely at that 'odd ball' 2nd key fob I see it says 'contains battery' so I took it apart and yes there is a transponder in it. With the transponder removed the car cranks but doesn't start as per Towpack's description and what I've experienced myself previously with a failed fuel shut off solenoid. So it does have an immobiliser :D

Is this 'odd ball' key what Toyota supply now if you ask for a replacement key?

[attachment=1:14i4c7sz]IMAG0860.jpg[/attachment:14i4c7sz]

[attachment=0:14i4c7sz]IMAG0859.jpg[/attachment:14i4c7sz]
No idea why this one has a battery when it's unlikely the original had one ...

A quick google for Silca and EH2 which is what's on that 2nd key brings up stuff like this so it looks like it's a clone of an existing key, model TOY40EH2.

Hi Jon

I assume the proper Toyota key you have works? Therefore it has a transponder in it but no battery. I thought a transponder did not needa battery :?

Frank

To see if you have an alarm why don't you lock it up and I'll come over and steal it.

Frank

The siren on mine is in the passenger wing, remove the indicator and you should be able to see it. Looking back at my invoices toyota supplied and programmed a key and both my keys look like your toyota key. I got the flashing led as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Rob

Does your system have PIR's ? if not how is the system activated?

Frank

Jon Wildsmith said:
Silver foil doesn't work, still starts. Looking more closely at that 'odd ball' 2nd key fob I see it says 'contains battery' so I took it apart and yes there is a transponder in it. With the transponder removed the car cranks but doesn't start as per Towpack's description and what I've experienced myself previously with a failed fuel shut off solenoid. So it does have an immobiliser :D

Is this 'odd ball' key what Toyota supply now if you ask for a replacement key?

[attachment=1:1woib3fa]IMAG0860.jpg[/attachment:1woib3fa]

[attachment=0:1woib3fa]IMAG0859.jpg[/attachment:1woib3fa]
No idea why this one has a battery when it's unlikely the original had one ...

The OE master key that came with my LC looks like the top one in the picture, as does the new spare. I have a warning light on the lower dash but this is for the alarm:-

Alarm.jpg

The sounder is in the nearside front wing. Mine had been unplugged after the previous owner's dog ate his last alarm fob. I priced new fob's up at £60 each but at the time the dealer had an offer on of a new alarm ECU + 2 fobs for £160 fitted so that's the way I went/

Re: Re: OEM immobiliser

frank rabbets said:
Hi Rob

Does your system have PIR's ? if not how is the system activated?

Frank
If you mean alarm fobs then yes it has 2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Rob

The PIR's are the infra red motion detectors inside the car like the ones in house alarm systems but smaller.

Frank

Have a look at www.toyota-tech.eu Jon for the VSS1 and VSS3 instructions - suspect that might throw some light as well. Think they're Cobra units.

Cheers

frank rabbets said:
The PIR's are the infra red motion detectors inside the car like the ones in house alarm systems but smaller.
Nothing like that in mine, there is a box in the centre console with a dial on it to change the sensitivity and if you open a door the alarm goes off. Mine is a GX Amazon BTW. This reminds me, need to get some new door switches...

Back