Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Off Road Training

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
I have joined the local 4x4 Response group called COTAG (Community Off-road Transport Action Group). I'm not an official member as yet as I am waiting for the Police to finish the vetting process. Also before I can go into active duty I need to complete 20 hours of induction courses and training and then pass a pretty stringent assesment. Plus I need my VHF radio licence and IAM training. So got a while to go yet.

Sunday was my first full day of training and I got back home in the evening after a full days off roading in the Landcruiser. I was surrounded by Land Rovers all day and when I turned up in the 80 I got a bit of ribbing and told to go and get a propper 4x4. They even went as far as telling me they would convert me to a Landy in no time! The cheek!! :o

After a morning of induction I went out with the rest of the group for a tour of the site which is a 350 acre corner of a huuuuuge farm just north of Alford. Its basically at the top of a hill and the views were stunning. Anyway, I could see the lads doing a section and then stopping to hopefully watch me fail miserably. When I continued to keep up they started to make things a bit more difficult and as the day went on the sections got harder and harder. By the end of the day the lads were pretty impressed with the capabilities of the LC and I even managed to beat a discovery and a 90 into submission on both a rocky accent and a boggy track. :D

I was having so much fun I forgot to get my camera out but there was a chap taking pictures so I will get copies off him and post them up on here. Incidentally he was the only one there that drove a non Land Rover and he was looking to get a replacment for his Isuzu Trooper. I know there are gonna be plenty of the LC as he was my passenger/ trainer and admitted that he has been after a 80 for a while and every time I looked over he was pointing the camera at the truck.

All in all it was a great day out and I gained some valuable experience. Roll on the next one :thumbup:

Sounds like a fun day out Bill - looking forward to seeing some pics :cool:

nice one showing the landies the LC in action

shame the place near Alford isn't a pay-and-play, as its close to me and would be handy.
nice day for it on sunday too

Interesting. I've been thinking of joining the local response team but haven't got off my backside yet.

So how many LR owners have you converted to LC? :)

Sorry guys I'm still waiting for pics but will post some as soon as I get them.

Aye Andy its a cracking site too. :roll:

After taking to members of other 4x4 response groups it seems the training COTAG are putting the new recruits through is far more than anyone else. In fact one guy in Nottingham claims he gave them his name, address, telephone number and vehicle details he was then allegedly given a hi-viz jacket and told to wait by the phone when it snows. No vetting or training or anything. :?: :?:

Oh its early days yet but give it a few months and they will be out shopping for aLCs ;) :D

Ecoman said:
Anyway, I could see the lads doing a section and then stopping to hopefully watch me fail miserably.
Very entertaining when they do that :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul_Humphreys said:
I teach people at 4x4R trainning days ;)

You will understand where I'm coming from then. If the guy I spoke to is telling the truth then the lack of recovery training is asking for trouble. Just because someone has a 4x4 it doesn't mean they can drive in the snow, let alone tow someone out of a snowdrift or an icy side street. Even the policeman that I ended up recovering last year boasted that he had come prepared in his Nissan Pathfinder (with standard road tyres). It turns out his preparation was a folding shovel, a cheap stretchy tow rope, a change of clothes and a flask of tea! He offered me the use of the tow rope to tow him back to the main road!! I politely declined and advised him to throw it in the next bin he passed on his way back to the station. :lol:

Yes I know a thing or two!!!

But as you put above, it is the main reason I use all my own ropes, strap and shakles for recoverys as I know how they have been treated and look after.

Paul

Back