Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Off to Mongolia finally!!!!!

That looks sticky!

Did you wait out the storm or continue trying to get unstuck? Are there 3 or you or just the two?

That looks like a forest where I would rather not break down :? :shock:

Halinka's nephew was holding the camera, he was also the guide...

We tried to get out asap as we had no idea how long the storm will last, in this case on and off for then next 10 hours or so. There was an anbondonded stuck 4x2 logging tractor nearby aswell and we still decided to carry on down the track :doh: At least I found out that the truck handles completely different offroad when loaded up. I will load some vids when I get back.

Currently in Moscow! Im glad that I have a vehicle that can easily cope with the terrible ex soviet state roads.

Good to hear you're making decent progress there, Rob! I suspect that the roads are unlikely to improve as you go further east :whistle:

Other than the power-steering gremlins, everything else going ok with the truck?

Cheers,

lurker.gif

You are basically doing something that I've wanted to do for many, many years!
Take as many photos/videos as you can even if you think they are crap and boring!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just had a text from Rob - he & Halinka are 100km past Samara on the M5 & seemingly not expecting to have internet access for a while. He says all is well & the truck is working well...

Well dur Rob... Of course it is, its a Land Cruiser ;) :lol:

Happy days - looking forward to the next installment of photos...

Cheers

Lol, I got the same text and was about to post the same Gav. They're absolutely charging across Russia.. :clap:

At a mechanics about 600km from Mongolia, and they have wifi!!! Dont worry just getting the oil changed as I have no idea what to do with the oil if i change it myself. I did have one problem with the truck yesterday, I needed to get the air con belt tightened :shock:

We are racing across Russia as we don't have much time, we will take it slower on the way back. We should be in Mongolia very soon.

Rob said:
At a mechanics about 600km from Mongolia.
:shock: :shock: :shock: You're making very rapid progress there, Rob! Presume if you're getting the oil changed, you've covered around 5000 miles already!

Good to hear that everything is running fine - hope you guys are getting to see a little of the scenery along the way!

Cheers,

Just got a text from Rob. He and Halinka have crossed into Mongolia :dance:

As of 2.17 this afternoon they were 20km's south of Olgiy.

Very jealous, I had to work down a manhole today :|

Now that is seriously breaking records.

Graham

I normally have a look at the website traffic and have found this rather amusing in the last week or so. Traffic coming to use from Russia.
Rob.jpg

Not sure if there is a lot of coincidence or not :mrgreen:
Not sure what his route was though.

Some vague tracking of Rob ;)

Attachments

• Rob.jpg
    Rob.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 67
You should have a look again Crispin, there will be some traffic from Mongolia now as well. (have you had any traffic from Mongolia before?). Its probably that sticker on the back thats causing a lot of that traffic from Russia, certainly not all me.

Its is absolutely stunning out here, completely alien landscape. Also as soon as we crossed into Mongolia the only 4x4s we see are Russian jeeps and Landcruisers mainly 80s some 100s and a couple of 200s, where do they get the cash from?

Some more trouble with the truck, ABS is playing up so have pulled the fuse might be a sensor or a wire, not sure. On the fully synth oil now so will not need to change again.

Hey Rob,

Good to hear you made it. Bummer about ABS thought but not a bigg thing really (80 does not have ATRAC or other such gadgets it's relies on the ABS for?)

Yup, there's now traffic from Ulaanbaatar :geek:

Need photos Rob! Just some small ones as a teaser will do :!:

Enjoy. :D

ABS is probably the most electronically advanced thing on it, on traction control just difflocks :cool: I prefer no ABS on these roads as you can stop faster without ABS on gravel roads.

I'm in khovd now, must be routing the connection through UB. Sorry no pics as I don't trust these computers, if I find wifi I will load some

We are currently in Tsetserleg and it is pouring with rain. The cruiser is taking an absolute beating on these roads as they are smooth enough in places to drive quickly but every now and again you suddenly come across massive potholes with too much speed. As a result the exhaust finally gave way, but I am surprised it lasted this long as the crack appeared about 20k miles ago. All sorted now at a mechanics where I had to use my own tools to disconnect he batteries and hold the earth cable in place as it was just several bits of wire twisted together.

We are currently traveling with Dean and Paul, a couple of Australian bikers and are carrying Paul's panniers as he has cracked his subframe and the locals cant weld aluminum. This is their site http://www.donkeyandthemule.com.au/. An American biker has also tagged along as well. There are so many overland travelers in Mongolia in a variety of vehicles from Unimogs to strange mad max bikes.

Currently in Ulaanbaatar and I have found out that I can sort a few things out over here with the truck. I have posted about them in the 80 series section. I will get some photos on here as soon.

Some pics for you guys, all from Mongolia
DSC08747.JPG

DSC08791.JPG

DSC08896.JPG

I chose to go through the river for obvious reasons...
DSC09057.JPG

unfortunately the tar is creeping stedilly east so if you want to do Mongolia the old way be quick
DSC09097.JPG

Back