Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Off Topic - Jeep Cherokee

Neighbours have one of the smaller jeep cherokee's - a 2.8TD, 57-plate i think.
they have had it back to dealers about 3-4 times in the last 12-months since they bought it,
i cant remember what was wrong for each of these problems, one was a turbo pipe splitting or coming off
electrics went crazy - indicators stopped working etc

it did well in the winter until we got deeper snow, when they got stuck a few times, but as we advised them it had hopeless summer tyres. i helped to pull it out with my LC90 one day when they got stuck, the electric 4WD system had also overheated? and shutdown. an ATRAC system.

Well, the number of them I have looked at are starting to make me think they are a poor vehicle (it is the smaller one I am talking about, Grand)

Very few have water (never mind coolant) in the rad, one guy sawed off the exhaust, claimed it fell off (I could see the saw marks) so we could not drive it. The engine (oil) was bone dry. The auto we drove was clunky. Most had a soaked rear diff, non have a non-leaking engine / gearbox. I could go on....

The one we almost bought last night (had cash, about to swap) turned out to be stolen! Owner had registered it with forged papers. A friend is a cop and he did a check. The owner, who is on extended "holiday" in Spain is being investigated for fraud on a deceased lady's estate....

So.....starting to think they not a long lasting vehicle. Oldest was an 04 plate which let's face it, is not old. They should not be leaking oil from all orifices....

The wife is still dead-set on one so I'll keep pointing out the problems. :hand:

"The wife is still dead-set on one so I'll keep pointing out the problems."

whos cash is paying though! make her see sense - it doesnt matter how "nice" it looks on outside, if its a pile of junk underneath

when neigbours got there, i looked it up on google to see what it was and spec - for my own interest - lots of horrer stories, almost as bad as freelander

dont buy one!

neighbours warranty runs out on theirs soon

I have not read the whold thread as I do not have time tonight, just got in and statr work again at 4am.

Anyway, the diesel engine is based on the old VM that was fitted in the old Range Rover around 1987. Most oftern found in boats!!

Paul

There's an article on buying a Jeep Cherokee 2001-2007 in the August issue of 4x4 Magazine.

Back