Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

NO LONGER AVAILABLE

stuzbot

Well, guys and gals.

As keen observers of my various threads on this forum will be aware, I only fairly recently bought this Colorado 3,0TD after spending a long time looking for one which wasn't disintegrating around the rear axle.

Unfortunately, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. Although my Colorado isn't a complete rot box like most of the ones I looked at, I think it's going to need more attention and preventative maintenance round the rear of the chassis than I have the time, facilities or inclination to give it. If you look at my thread on the leaking load sensing valve you'll see that I found some rot on the chassis alongside the fuel tank and that, added to the general botchiness around the front headlights and grille area, plus the fact I've now got to replace this bloody LSV has pretty much triggered "straw and camel's back mode" with me.

If I had another motor and a garage to work in, I'd be keeping this motor as it's got a lot of good stuff going for it. But it's my daily driver and lives outside in a carpark at my flats. So it's not really practical for me to devote the time needed to it, now that I've found there's more needs sorting on it than I originally thought.

THE GOOD
* Engine is nice and clean. Starts first go and pulls well. Minimal blowback with no oil spitting
* Transmission seems good to me [although I've never owned an auto before, so not entirely sure what it's meant to be like!]
* Transfer box all working properly
* Difflock working [I think. It was when I test drove it. I'll need to check it again]
* VX model with lots of gadgets. Most of which are working [eg: electric sunroof, etc]
* New Toyota LBJs fitted only a couple of weeks ago.
* New Load Sensing Valve fitted
* Transmission flushed with ASIN / Toyota ATF
* Leather interior with all seats present [driver's seat has a couple of small tears]
* MOT'd til January [22nd, I think]

THE BAD
* General corrosion to rear of chassis. One area rotted [by fuel tank] and will need patching. Rest will need a good wire brushing and protecting
* Slight pull to the left when driving. Possibly due to the fact the tyres are all mismatched [3 different brand. 4, if you count the spare!].
* LSV leaking [will be ordering a new one and fixing it in the coming days].

THE UGLY
* Front end headlamp and grille are has been cracked and clumsily repaired [see my thread linked to above]

THE BOTTOM LINE
I paid £3500 for it a few months back and have replaced the LBJs with genuine Toyota ones and replaced air and oil filters and engine oil. I'm looking to get back what I paid for it, or at least in that ballpark. I'm based in Central Manchester, for anyone who wants to come and have a look.

20210604_174412.jpg

20210604_174425.jpg

20210604_174129.jpg

Last edited:
OK. Folks. Reduced by £750 for quick sale. I'm moving house next week. So this needs to go either this weekend or very early next week. If no-one's interested at the asking price, I'll take it with me to my new gaff. Just trying to avoid the hassle of having to make a couple of hundred mile round trip to come back and fetch it, after I've 'got the hell out of Dodge'

Offer it to a wider audience mate, although there is the drawback of fees depending where.

Oh yeah. I've no doubt I could sell it, if I stuck it on eBay. But as per my 2nd post, I'm moving house next week. So the last thing I want, with all that upheaval to organise, is for a load of eBayers coming round to during the week, to kick the tyres and offer me £100 and their old Ford Fiesta for it. I just thought, if I offered it on the forum, any potential purchasers would at least not be complete piss-takers, as so many people on eBay are and I could get a quick sale, if there was any interest.

As there isn't, I'm fine with keeping it and taking it with me. I know,when I have to fetch it to where we're moving, I'll be pissed off at having to get the train back to collect it. But I'm sure I'll be glad to have it when I've finally got it there. I think, if we can put this difficult early stage of our relationship behind us, we might eventually become bezzy mates.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, you're right Stuz, you will get more reliable people on here v local yokels, some of who know fork all and go for a day out to rev and tyre kick, and think what youre selling is a Land Rover, cos they have no bleedin idea, haha. Good luck.

The problem with advertising Trucks on here is most people have got one, thats why they are on here. Most owners don't want a second one as the Cruiser is their already second vehicle.
Good luck with the sale, as TMan said the wider the audience, the more fees apply.

OK. The forum has spoken. Or rather failed to speak. So it looks like I'm taking my Collie with me to my new gaff. I guess you'll be seeing a bit more of me yet!

BTW: Just on the general subject of the purchase value of these things. I was up at a 2nd hand van traders last weekend, sorting out a van for my house move. After I'd test-driven one and haggled a price, the guy who worked there nodded towards my Land Cruiser and said "How much would you want for that? About ten grand I suppose".

If I'd thought he'd just produce a wodge of notes there and then and not have one of his mechanics give it a good going over first, I'd have had his arm off. But, I felt obliged to point out it needed welding to the chassis. At which point his enthusiasm waned considerably.

Even so, it did make me feel a bit more pleasantly disposed towards my old Collie. If a second hand car trader [who, let's face it, are not famed for their 'trade-in generosity'] was bandying about figures like that, after looking at it, it made me think that it might be an investment worth investing a couple more grand into, after all.

I reckon once a few more rust themselves off the road the remaining few will get more expensive.

Back