Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oh No. Not Another Lower Ball Joints Post!

stuzbot

While I sit here, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for my new Lower Ball Joints to wend their 2 week journey from France [I think they're coming by 'DHL Escargot'], I'm amusing myself by reading all the horror stories about LBJ failure. One thing that I'm not clear about; given that some people have run them for 300.000km+ with no issues and others have had them pop at 100.000 or less. And given that Toyota did issue a recall on some of them....

Have we any info as to how many of these LBJ horror stories involved genuine Mr.T parts? And does the existence of a recall mean that only a certain batch are prone to this catastrophic failure --possibly due to a manufacturing defect?

I will be changing mine anyway, just on mileage grounds, as soon as the feckers turn up. But, reading the horror stories almost has me afraid to nip to the shops in my truck as, with 200.000+ miles on the clock and [presumably?] still on its original Ball Joints, I can't decide whether I'm sitting on a time bomb, or have nothing to worry about.

For what it's worth, I put my VIN into Toyota's Recall Checker and got the reassuring all clear. But then, I think I've read somewhere else that the recall for LBJs was only on some Aussie models.

SS 2021-06-17 at 13.19.03.png

If you have a jack and a crowbar or large screwdriver you can check how good your current ones are. There are a few videos on YouTube if you search for Prado 90 Lower Ball Joint check.

That's not too say they won't fail from a defect but there's probably less chance of that then failure from easily detectable wear.

Yes. I've seen the vids of the check. But then I've also read posts from people saying they'd checked theirs and found no free play. But they'd still popped anyway.

Things are also not helped by the fact my truck has 3 different brands of tyre fitted, including two mismatched across the front axle and it has a tendency to pull slightly to the left when driving. Which, while in the throes of 'LBJ Paranoia' has me thinking it's a sign of impending ball joint doom.

BTW --does anyone have a part no. for the LBJ bolts? At first, I wasn't going to order bolts too, as i was still reeling at the price of the genuine Toyota LBJs. But, knowing my luck, I'm bound to shear at least one of them off. So I should probably get a set of bolts in too, ready to go.

When I had my LBJs replaced about 3 years ago, the bolts were reused - they were in pretty good shape and they're hefty items, so would take a fair bit to shear them.

Having said that, you might as well replace them for peace of mind anyway.

Stuzbot did write a while back in another one of your threads about your tyre problem that you could put the matched rear tyres on the front axle check the pressures and see hear feel if your problem reduces or dissappear got to be worth a go

Yes. I'm planning to do that ASAP. I've been laid up this week with a gammy leg, so have barely been able to walk the length of the room, never mind start wrestling heavy wheels and tyres about. I'm daring to expect that it will solve the pulling to one side problem. I'm planning a new set of tyres anyway, but that might have to wait a week or two

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One thing that I'm not clear about; given that some people have run them for 300.000km+ with no issues and others have had them pop at 100.000 or less. And given that Toyota did issue a recall on some of them....
Its all about usage.My 95 went from probably never been off road , judging by the underside to daily use in forestry , river crossings & lots of off roading .I ended up , within 2 years replacing all the suspension bushes and snapping both anti roll bars.As for the recall thanks for that didn't know.Also IIRC a member from Eastern Europe posted about this saying that it's common where he lives to replace them with a Toyota Tacoma part that's heavier duty.

Also IIRC a member from Eastern Europe posted about this saying that it's common where he lives to replace them with a Toyota Tacoma part that's heavier duty...

Yes. I remember reading that post. It was linked to a YouTube video of an oriental looking guy, discussing them. But, unfortunately, in Russian [?] with no subtitles.

Ironically enough, after reading that post and staring in blank incomprehension at the YT video, I did a search for "Toyota Tacoma lower ball joint" and, would you believe, the first photo that appeared at the top of the results page showed one of them with its front wheel tucked up under its armpit too.

So, alas, no magic bullet there, it seems.

If it lasts 20 years its not defective .

Going from memory so i might be wrong , but i think Beau who's truck has been family owned since new changed his original LBJ's at 250,000 miles just for peace of mind despite finding no evidence they might need replacing .

That age makes them fail without warning is the be all and end all of it .

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my truck has had a fairly easy life and hasn't been used off-road --at least not recently. It had been in the family I bought it from for the past ten years and looked like it was just used as 'the family car'. Also, the guy selling it didn't seem to know what the difflock and transfer box was really for. When I stopped to change into LL and put the difflock on he said "I've never dared to pull that lever to see what it did". Of course, he may have been just a consumate actor and have been happily green-laning the arse off it every weekend.

Whatever the case, I hope my LBJs aren't quite on the point of committing suicide and will hold on another week or so, til the new ones arrive.

They were €131,50 each from Euro4x4Parts from France. A bit cheaper than that from Amayama, sent via UAE. But postage from UAE was about €75 I think.

EDIT:
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/DRL1054-2198_ball_joint_swivel_lower_43330-39415.html

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/DRL1055-2198_ball_joint_swivel_lower_43340-39325.html

There are other cheaper options and also dearer greaseable versions, which I would have gone for. But they were out of stock

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...suspension_steering/D/ball_joint_swivel_lower

EDIT NO:2

Here are the parts on Amayama. A lot cheaper but the postage is heftier and the lead times longer:

Genuine Toyota 43330-39585 (4333039585) JOINT ASSY, LOWER BALL, FRONT RH - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Well, that's one of them anyway. You can find the one for t'other side from there. I don't have the part no. handy, at the mo'

Last edited:
Don't forget. As per my rantlet here...

Post Brexit, there'll also be customs duty & VAT to pay too now. Around €11 - 15 [I think!] once I sorted out my VAT refund. Make sure [as I didn't do at the time] that you choose the non-VAT prices when ordering. Otherwise you'll pay VAT in the country you place the order and then again when it arrives in UK.

Back