Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil advice and recommendations from oilman

oilman

Land Cruiser Club has invited us to start an "oil recommendations" thread... so if you would like any oil advice or a recommendation for your car please feel free to ask here and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. e.g.
Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine, Gearbox, Diff etc.

Any oil we recommend is available to buy from us (if you would like to) for delivery throughout the UK and many destinations in Europe. We stock oils & lubricants from 9 major oil brands: Amsoil, Castrol, Fuchs, Gulf, Millers, Mobil, Motul, Redline and Silkolene, so we can supply fluids meeting the vast majority of manufacturer and international specifications.

Land Cruiser Club members get a discount of at least 10% on our usual prices... just choose "Land Cruiser Club" as your club when registering on the Opie Oils web site and enter your forum username.

Finally, if there are any products we don't stock and you have difficulty getting hold of elsewhere, let us know and we'll see if we can stock them.

We look forward to being of help!

Cheers
Guy, Opie Oils

You can also contact us by phone on +44 1209 215164

Thanks oilman!
Hopefully some folks will ask some good questions :)

I'll be along when I need to change the oil on my 120 in a couple of months.

This is for a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon / UZJ100, 2001 Petrol V8 Auto

I just got round to doing an oil change after buying some oil from Opie Oils a little while ago. The engine got some Silkolene PRO S 5W-40, the auto box got some Amsoil Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and the transfer box got some Amsoil Synthetic SEVERE Gear Oil 75w-90.

My question: The axle diffs just got some cheapish Fuchs mineral EP gear oil I'd already got a big tub of and have used for years but what would you recommend from your range?

I seem to remember that when I placed my order I chickened out of ordering enough Amsoil Synthetic SEVERE Gear Oil 75w-90 to do the diffs as well as the transfer because I wasn't sure that's the right stuff for them and it's too expensive to experiment with!

Also interested in this one, will be good to see oilmans response

Any advice needed ?

Ask us here, will be happy to help :)

Cheers

Oilman

Is there not an existing question above?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi oil man

1996 landcruiser
80 series 24v td manual
only mod is a stainless exhaust exhaust
only used on the road sometimes for towing

need engine oil , diffs , and gearbox oil

OK. I have a question I'd love some advice on.

I need to grease the propshaft on my 2007 120-series LC4 3.0 diesel.

It ahs grease nipples and I have an air compressor, so was planning to get an air greaser. But what grease would you recommend?

Hi,

Until midnight Sunday we have a 20% SALE on our website with voucher code SALE20

If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

Oilman

If your need of any oil advice/recommendations then just ask us here and we will be happy to help.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

oilman

If you are struggling to find the right engine oil for your car, don't forget about our free oil advice.

All we need to know is

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known

If you need help you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at [email protected], or use our Recommendation form, or just ask here.

If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to [email protected] or just give us a call this afternoon, we are here till 5.30pm.

It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, until midnight Sunday we are giving an additional 15% Off our already discounted prices on all engine oils with voucher code 15OFF.

Cheers
- oilman

Gday mate, great idea for a thread.
i have a 93 gxl with a 1hz and aftermarket turbo..

What oil and grade do you recommend for
*engine
*gearbox
*diffs
.. I'm new to cruisers mate so always open to advise cheers mate

It seems to me that since this thread started in March 2010, there has been no response from Oil Man to any of the queries raised.

Am I wrong? Maybe the advice was given by PM or email.

Seems strange to me though...:?

I allways used 5 40 mobil for engine oil but i want to change my gearbox oil aswell what do you guys use? Mine is a 1992 hdj81 4.2 turbo diesel

I allways used 5 40 mobil for engine oil but i want to change my gearbox oil aswell what do you guys use? Mine is a 1992 hdj81 4.2 turbo diesel

I service my landcruiser at Nippon Garage in the industrial estate Lefkosa Giray. They sell authentic good oils. Just serviced mine there again.

Last edited:
The 'best oil' question must've been asked a thousand times on a thousand different forums for a thousand different vehicles and certainly got more than one answer! There's just 2 rules in my book:

1. Read the min specs required by the vehicle manufacturer and stick to them.

2. Change the oils no less than the stipulated intervals.

Other than that I tend to go for what's on offer locally to get the best deal. I've never been one for spending £££ on the latest premium oils but each to their own of course. JMO

I service my landcruiser at Nippon Garage in the industrial estate Lefkosa Giray. They sell authentic good oils. Just serviced mine there again.
I been going to the same garage for donkey years now im sure nipon is good i heard about them aswell but i prefer to go to the usuall garage atleast i could go have a coffee bash the boys up there abit have a laugh and then get lost:))

Back