Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

oil catch can for 1HD-T?

Ale

During my recent Timing Belt replacement, I noticed a bit of oil from the cam cover oil breather pipe. Not a huge amount, but given this breather feeds into the air inlet before the turbo, it did seem to be making a little mess of the turbo itself, and I think also causing a little blue smoke in the exhaust.

I know these engines seem to have a positive crank case pressure, so this is causing the oil breather pipe to perhaps breathe quite a bit, a was wondering whether anyone has fitted an oil catch can to separate out the air from the oil to clean up the engine a little.

I've seen a few cheap ones on ebay for £20 or so, and I know Allisport seem to do some better ones as well. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion if you've fitted one or thought of fitting one?

I was also thinking if once fitted, then I'd have a clearer view if my engine was burning oil from the oil breather, or if the piston rings are getting worn or the Turbo! Trucks only done 147k miles so far.

I fitted one from a Vauxhall Vectra. Cost £12 IIRC and fits into the space between the rocker cover and the airbox quite nicely. I just flush it out with white spirit every 1k miles or so.

I fitted one as I also had more oil in my air filter pipes than I wanted
Can't say it made much difference though. It did catch some oil but I don't have one on my other 80 and it has less oil in the pipes without having a catch can
I'm no expert but maybe try find out if yours has more of less than other 80's before trying this?

thanks for the input... I certainly have more oil than I would like in the air intake, but will keep an eye on it to see if its just a build up over time or not. I guess this may depend on the truck and the condition of the engine, type of oil, driving etc. So many variables.

The catch cans seem cheap enough, so I can't see the harm in fitting one.

Cheers

Al

I fitted one but after half a year and some 20000 km removed it as there wasn't much in it.
But on other 80 series I saw it (the same design of oil catch can) caught quite a bit more ...

My 80 is approaching 300000 km now, maybe at 500000 I will consider refitting it. :)

Back