Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil change/Pick up ect

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
Hi All,
Having done about 3,000 miles since getting my lovely 120 D4D and reading quite a few posts on here about oil changes should I be looking to do a change about now or am I ok for another 3/4000?The car was services just before I bought it and had the injector seals changed just to be on the safe side after hearing of all the seating problems.
When I do do the change which I will have done at my local Mr Toyota what type of oil should I/they be using mineral or synthetic ,the car had done just over 89,000.
Would you expect the garage to automatically check the pick up?

Thanks guys

Hi All,
Having done about 3,000 miles since getting my lovely 120 D4D and reading quite a few posts on here about oil changes should I be looking to do a change about now or am I ok for another 3/4000?The car was services just before I bought it and had the injector seals changed just to be on the safe side after hearing of all the seating problems.
When I do do the change which I will have done at my local Mr Toyota what type of oil should I/they be using mineral or synthetic ,the car had done just over 89,000.

Thanks guys

Oil change is every 10K miles so yes another 3-4K miles should be fine. Garage won't check pick up as part of routine oil change. It should have been checked when the seals were done if the (now out of date) seal recall notice was followed; I changed my own seals and forgot to do this, so did check a few K miles later. If you want them to check you'll need to instruct them to do so. I'd be asking for a picture to prove they looked. You can see it through the drain plug, but if there is any uncertainty the small sub-sump needs to come off which is maybe 30 minutes work by the time you taken bash plates off too.

You want 5W-30 API-CF oil. I think a genuine filter is more important that the precise oil, but I've used fully-synth Mobil 3000 X1 for the last 100K miles (now on 170K miles) and going well.

Thanks for the reply Rob.I don't think I explained myself properly, I got the garage I bought the car from to change the seals as a precaution as there was no proof they had been done previously under the recall,and in fact they were the copper ones they took out and gave to me so it had not been done.

I do not know if they checked the pick up at the same time,in fact I think it unlikely as it was done as part of the sales deal. I imagine they would have done the minimum they needed to do under the circumstances.

I will ask the garage to check,remove and clean if necessary and photo the pick up as you suggest when they do the oil change and also check on the oil they use and ask that when they change the filter that they use a genuine Toyota one.
Thanks again.

Thanks Bhutan,I did have a read of this but thanks for reminding me.I wish we had those sorts of temperatures.

Hi All,

Thanks guys
At 90,000 you will need to change the Cam Belt. I gather that it is recommended to change the Cam Belt Tensioner and also the Water Pump. At 90,000 a warning light will illuminate on the dash panel to inform you of the impending change. All this assumes that it has not already been done.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks BriComp,The car had its Cam belt changed at 57K,before I owned it but I don't know if the Tensioner and Water Pump were done at the same time.

Today I popped into my local Toyota dealer to ask about between service oil changes and was told I would really be better of going for the "Silver service" at £150

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json#servicing-widget-anchor

Rather than a straight forward oil change at £120.

I really do want to look after the car as I plan to keep it 10 years plus if I can but I don't want to go mad.
What are your thought guys,is that a bit of a rip of do we think.

Cheers

Matthew

So 30 quid is buying you screenwash and a wash and vac. Wash and vac of mine is probably worth 30 quid, a merely filthly car perhaps not so much.

Really depends on if you can do this yourself or if you want to maintain your dealer service stamp. Just bought all the service item including fuel, oil, air and pollen filters, oil, serpentine belt, for £110 from Simon Holton @ Toyota. At 12 years old now, I see no point in the dealer stamp, especially as we intend to keep for at least another 8-10 years

Thanks both,I am no mechanic so doing a full service is out of the question but I thought I might at least be able to do a between service oil change.From all I have read on hear it seems to me that an oil change about every 5k would be a good thing especially on older engines.Can anyone tell me how much oil is needed for a change so I can work out the cost of the oil,cheers

Thanks both,I am no mechanic so doing a full service is out of the question but I thought I might at least be able to do a between service oil change.From all I have read on hear it seems to me that an oil change about every 5k would be a good thing especially on older engines.Can anyone tell me how much oil is needed for a change so I can work out the cost of the oil,cheers

The toyota semi synth 5w30 really will go 10k miles on the 120 - at 5k miles its still very very clean, the local dealer seems to think 15k miles is a target. If you have doubts, go for it but not really needed. You do want to change the oil filter every other oil change. And only use original toyota ones.

If you had the garage do the work, check they used toyota oe filter and oil.

The old engines being spoken of here are the 1990 odd vintage. Suspect your 120 isnt quite that old :)

By way of how much, you want about 7.5+L on hand, if you actually manage to get it all out. i seem to only need 7.5 if i also change the filter, if not doing the filter 6.5 or so is what you need. You also want a sump plug gasket.

Go for a drive, get things warmed up. Get you pan ready, drop the sump plug ( trying not to drop it into the pan.... also, note oil is going to be warm so if it's at the end of a long drive, maybe let it cool a bit ).

Remove the dip stick + filler cap will get it flowing ( note you don't want dust and crap dripping in via the openings ), if changing filter as well, get that off as well. I usually let it drop for about 45 min or so. Then get the plug back in, pour in about 5L then start checking dip stick and get to level needed.

Of course, keep an eye on how much actually came out.

Thanks Geek,
my car is only 2005 with just under 90K on the clock so by the sounds of it I am worrying to much.I will do a change before to long just so I have the peice of mind knowing the oil running through the engine is all ok.
Your description of what to do and not to do is great thanks.

Just for reference, my 55 plate has 110k miles and has been dealer services every year or 10k.

I would suggest no need to do more than this....

Changed my oil and filter yesterday and it took about 7.5l. Oil strainer looks ok

20171123_131005.jpg
20171123_131023.jpg

For me yes, however I do know that it has had the injector seals recall done.

Will be serving again in the next few weeks so I will do the same check and post some pics up. having said that, we have done prob 5k in the last year

Back