Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil cleanliness

nathanrobo

Has anyone heard of rotor type centrifuges fitted to a Landcruiser? This would be for removing the carbon that quickly blackens engine oil within a diesel engine and therefore requires fairly frequent oil changes...

Mate,

The amount of stuff you have corrected on that veh, I am sure that Toyota could learn a thing or two from you.

Hows the veh coming, last time I read, you had missions to do, anyway well done.

Thanks for that! I've become very familiar with my LC... Problem is that these projects become an obsession. Anyway after the rebuild, it fired into life beatifully and sounds great now, also very tight feeling on both steering, suspension, engine and transmission, feels as like new! I've still a few things to finish:

I want to take the tank out and get it steam cleaned in the next couple of days, fit a micro glass fuel filter in place of the standard Toyo cellulose filter, regass the spheres, replace bushes on upper and lower rear control arms, renovate the leather interior and fit a new set of tyres (psycho-therapy would probably be cheaper!). Also want to plumb in a centrifuge which is a priority given the benefits!

Any idea where would be best to tap into the discharge from the oil pump? I want to fit a small oil centrifuge in parralel with the oil filter. This means tapping into the oil pressure at some point and discharging back into the lube supply.

nathanrobo said:
I want to fit a small oil centrifuge in parralel with the oil filter.

Surely this should precede the filter and not in parallel?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting project. I'd like one of those. I presume that you can discharge straight back into the rocker cover at some point. But when tapping in, obviously you only want a percentage of the oil at any one time going through the spinner. Might that need to be adjustable to allow set up? Does the oil spin the centrifuge too or is it independently driven?

I love the idea of having cleaner oil for longer.

Chris

Thanks for the responses! I've been poking around on the Landrover forums to see if I could get an underbonnet picture. The CF is fitted parralel as it doesn't need to see all of the oil all of the time. It doesn't need to clean the oil in a single pass as it runs all the time (which is why a better quality, servicable CF with COV is important - I'd avoid the sealed disposable units). I am expecting that the first decent journey should clean the oil to clear. After this is just removing the soot as is comes in.

Nothing needs to be adjusted, it runs from the engine's oil pressure. I'm going to be using a 200cc device that can hold 200cc of contaminant before it needs cleaning out. My key question is where to tap in to the engine's oil supply under pressure? The rocker cover sound like a good idea for discharge- will mean a fixing that goes through the no1 & no2 rocker cover on my truck (1HD FTE) not sure if the other engines are the same.

Maybe LR engines are very hard on their oil? Given the long life expectancy of a cruiser engine it seems like this is in diminishing returns territory? Or are you hoping to extend your oil life and change it less often?

Hi Jon

A while ago I came accross some info from Cummins about the effect of Diesel soot particles (<10) on engine wear, there were also slides showing damage to white metal bearings - from memory I think that engine oil filters where 30mu (ish). So really it's belt and braces stuff and I thought why not if the cost is fairly low - seems like a worthwhile mod??.

I've always been very fussy about what oil I use and apart from the odd banger (runaround) I've changed the oil when it no longer looks clean / clear or when the service is due (which ever comes first). Despite what folk say about diesels and oil going black as soon as you turn the key after an oil change.

The oil in the truck is pretty clean 1200 miles after the last change, which may have something to do with the oil flush i use each service it would be nice to keep it that way.

Back