Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil consumption on 1KZ-TE with 230k miles

Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
Just back from week in Cornwall. Girl didn't miss a beat going up and down the hills temperature always stayed constant and never struggled. Only thing I noticed was that I'm using a bit of oil, around 250ml for each 1000 miles. Is this normal or relative to the age and mileage of the engine?

Not specifically for the KZ, but a little bit of oil consumption, on a reasonably high mile engine, on a long run, wouldn't overly concern me. I would have to throw a litre in to my truck after about 5000 miles after a service, albeit higher miles and the later KD engine. But it's been that way for a long time.

Manufacturer specs vary, but some consider a litre per 1000 miles to be within tolerance... to me thats too much.

My mates 200 uses 0.8 of a litre every 800kms. It is a new bottom end but I spoke to a mechanic who recons most modern diesel engines actually use oil. He mentioned Volvo and audis in particular.

I've heard of new engines using that much, I think most manufacturers want 1l+/1000km to log a warranty job at least round here. So I think your 1kz is fine!

This is why your dipstick has 2 marks on it and why the inside of your throttle body gets caked in crap . Crank gas (oil vapour and air) vents directly to the intake to be "recycled". Older engines with higher miles allow more blowby . Some fit catch cans and wonder later why they bothered while others can see the benefits by how much oil is caught very quickly .

How you drive makes a difference to , only once i had to top up oil outside of the maintenance schedule and that was because of a cannonball run style mad dash towing a trailer Romania to UK in not much more than 24 hours , the crank breather pipe had split . Truck must have had about 130k miles on it then .

@Shayne that makes a lot of sense. All around Cornwall I hardly ever got into 4th gear (Automatic box), the lanes are up and down and only really using 1st/2nd gear sometimes 3rd so driving 500 miles like that could use a but of oil. On the way home on the motorways uses barely anything :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looked like a useful site but keeps throwing up errors like 404, or ‘Brand not found’ after clicking on the brand link.

Back