Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil filter question

Aquanuke

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I did an oil change and the filter I was sold was the wrong one (different thread / euro car parts) anyway I ended up putting the old filter back on with the new oil. Question I have is, is it ok to just replace the oil filter later when I get the correct one? I presume as it sits upside down it does not hold much oil when not running. Sorry if lame question, but best to ask.

Also what is the oem filter for a UK prado 120 3.0 diesel 2006 ? One on my is crosland L10314US

Thanks

Yes. Short answer. There is a longer answer but the question was "Is it OK?"

Of course it's not ideal, but you're not about to incur catastrophic failure. I'd fit a genuine Toyota filter though when you do change it. Don't skimp. Get one from Roughtrax or main dealer.

2006 is a funny year - the face lift was that year, so the correct filter for you depends on which side of the face lift you are.

Look on your V5 and see how many KW your engine has. Mine has 122 KW, and is just before the face lift. If you have more KW, yours will be post face lift.

Once you know which side of the line you are, you can order the right filter from Roughtrax - thats where I got mine anyway.

When you change your filter, just run the engine up to temp, stop it for 5 mins then check the level and top up as necessary. The manual gives two capacities for oil - with or without filter. Mine took about 7.1L including filter.

Same as karl2000, 122kw first registered March 06, and handbook confirms 7.1L. inc.
I found the Roughtrax filter pics and description on their web site was confusing, describing one and showing another (Maybe me) but they are always happy to advise anything over the phone.

From my perspective I always use Toyota supplied filters for oil, air, fuel as I just don't think it's worth the risk with non originals for the price difference.

Back